figure eigh puffer tankmates???

Ravenfish

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 27, 2009
us army
I have a 20 gallon brackish water set up with the specific gravity of 1.012-1.014 abd ut us 15.5 in tall, 12.5 in wide and 24 in long. i presently have 3 ( all of which are about 0.5 in to 1.25 in long) figure eight puffers in it, but i really want to put something else in with them, i plan on upgrading in about 6-8 months so out growing the tank won't be much of a problem. I really kind of want some gobys, the LFS said that knight gobys can get along well with them but i am not so sure, any help is appreciated.

bromie88

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 19, 2008
Liverpool, England
im back!!! i finally have my internet sorted!!! :nilly:

anyhoo, you dont have tankmates with puffers. just fish that live in the same tank. i saw my puffer go through many a fish before i found a tankmate 'he' liked, as a single fish aquarium just doesnt appeal to me.

its all about keeping them occupied and well fed. do those and your puffer will hopefully behave itself. puffers are really inteligent as far as fish go. they learn quick and can even be trained to do tricks. so it pays to give yours an environment it will be able to explore. so be prepared to re-arrange the tank now and then too.

keep in mind though... your chances of tankmates are still really slim. as figure 8's need about 20 gal each, and you have 3 in that space. theyre also really messy, so keep up on the water changes.:)

janzal3

Candiru
MFK Member
Feb 9, 2009
Maryland
My experience with puffers was that the bigger the tank, the nicer the puffer. In that case, green scats are ideal.

xspainx69

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 26, 2007
Queens,NY
Figure 8 Puffers are very unpredictable....With these little demons its hit and miss.

They either like the newcomers or they tear it to shreds.....Goodluck

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store