Filter Recommendations for dual 8' diameter Turtle Ponds

ExoticEctotherms

Candiru
MFK Member
Nov 23, 2007
South Jersey
Hi All,

I am closing on my dream house in about 2 months and will finally be able to give my turtles the room they deserve. I have two 8' diameter 24" deep stock tanks (pic attached). One will house my 25lb albino snapping turtle and the other will have 3 adult red-bellied turtles and an adult diamondback terrapin. The ponds will be side by side and I want one filter to serve both ponds.

I have been racking my brain and scouring this site and pretty much every other article and forum on the interwebs, however I can't seem to settle on a filter type. These ponds will be indoor in an unheated garage and I hope to give my turtles a somewhat natural seasonal temperature shift to encourage breeding. That being said, I would like to be able to provide some heat as I don't want the water to get TOO cold during the winter.

I guess I'll list the pros and cons of each filter type I'm considering and see what input you guys have...so here goes.

1. Swimming Pool Sand Filter: I like the ease of maintenance and cleaning of this type of filter, however I am seeing a bunch of conflicting info regarding how fast they clog up. Turtles are generally very messy eaters and I think that if I go this route I may be backwashing every few days. Does anyone have experience using these filters with messy eaters? I read that a lot of koi pond guys use sand filters (or modified sand filters filled with other types of media), and they give very mixed reviews. One big con of a sand filter is that there is nowhere to put any heaters. If I go the sump route, I can hide a few heaters in there. Another con is that pool filter pumps draw a lot of amperage and will raise my power bill significantly. I could always use a sand filter with a aquarium pump, but that is getting more costly.

2. Diatomaceous Earth Filter (Hayward EC40): I stumbled on this thread...https://www.monsterfishkeepers.com/...omaceous-earth-de-filter.434493/#post-5318667 ...where the guy is raving about the use of this type of filter. I have experience with swimming pool filters and I know that DE is some messy crap. I also think this type of filter may clog up fast with any decent type of bioload. After exhaustive searching I haven't been able to find many people using this type of filtration, so there has to be some big drawback. Does anyone have any experience with these? They look to be fairly low maintenance as well, but I don't want to be cleaning this filter every day or two because it is getting clogged.

3. Elevated "Dump" Filter: Basically this is an elevated sump that uses gravity to return the water to the ponds. I have a 350 gallon stock tank that I was going to outfit with two "biotowers" made from Sterilite tubs fitted with a drip tray on top and filled with biomedia (scrubbies, bioballs, etc). Obviously there will be mechanical filtration for the water to flow through before it gets to the biomedia. With this style filter I can hide heaters in the sump and I was also planning on planting it heavily for nitrate reduction. The downsides of this type of filter is it is higher maintenance and cleaning than the other two and it has a higher upfront cost since I have to buy two pumps and a ton of biomedia. Also, I still haven't found a good place to buy a bulk order of scrubbies on the cheap.

Any thoughts, comments, criticisms are much appreciated. Thanks!!!

stock tank.jpg

Reactions: fishhead0103666

ExoticEctotherms

Candiru
MFK Member
Nov 23, 2007
South Jersey
With that huge bio load i'd go with a sand gravel 55 gallon barrel style filter and would run one on each pond at minimum. i'm not a fan of multiple tanks being run on 1 filter.
http://www.koiphen.com/forums/showthread.php?36550-55-Gal-Drum-Sand-and-gravel-filter-DIY
you can pump the water up to it and use gravity to feed it back to the pond.
That's an interesting design, but I'd like to incorporate the 350 gallon tub I have already. Here is a pic of it. I was thinking of putting two tall Sterilite tubs (one for each turtle pond) inside of it. Each pond would have it's own pump and it's own "biotower" but they would both be contained inside of the 350 gallon tub. It's basically a big ass sump. I'll try to sketch up what I'm talking about....pics are much easier to understand than my babble.tub.jpg

BichirKing

Dovii
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2018
PNW
I understand using what you got! my main concern about joining tanks to one sump is if there's one out break of an illness it spreads to the other tank, plus the large amount of water makes it expensive to add medications. your idea for a big sump would probably be easier. if you could find a pickle barrel they could be used as bio towers. they show up on craigslist from time to time.
http://www.lapond.com/miscellaneous/reconditioned-55-gallon-pickle-barrel-polydrum.html

Reactions: ExoticEctotherms
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store