filter sock cleaning

jaws7777

Probation Member
Probation Member
Mar 1, 2014
White house 1600 Pennsylvania Ave NW, Washington
I just store the dirty ones in a bucket and once a month throw them in the wash machine with a little bleach.

Wife stopped buying bleach so im thinking of using this instead.

pops

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
Nov 24, 2013
WA
I personally just cleaned them when doing water changes in the old tank water and put them back on, just more bio filtration to me. same for sponges.

Reactions: BichirKing

BichirKing

Dovii
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2018
PNW
I personally just cleaned them when doing water changes in the old tank water and put them back on, just more bio filtration to me. same for sponges.
that's what I have been doing but just wondering if there was a better way???
I just store the dirty ones in a bucket and once a month throw them in the wash machine with a little bleach
that's what I was thinking. i'm going to look for the chlorine free bleach.
thanks everyone!

Rocksor

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Nov 28, 2011
San Diego

thanks everyone!
I like to remove particulate matter from fine filters, otherwise they are not as effective as they are when new.

The picture shows hydrogen peroxide as the main ingredient, no need to look for chlorine free bleach. Having used both, I use way more hydrogen peroxide than bleach. But then I don't have to use prime and a couple of rinses when using hydrogen peroxide.

jaws7777

Probation Member
Probation Member
Mar 1, 2014

thanks everyone!
Regular old fashion bleach is fine. Just let them air dry for a couple of days. Its perfectly safe. The chlorine gases off. I was apprehensive at 1st but other trusted members do it all the time. Im not going to use that chlorine free stuff until i get some feed back from other members. I have no idea how the hydrogen peroxide would interact

jaws7777

Probation Member
Probation Member
Mar 1, 2014
I like to remove particulate matter from fine filters, otherwise they are not as effective as they are when new.

The picture shows hydrogen peroxide as the main ingredient, no need to look for chlorine free bleach. Having used both, I use way more hydrogen peroxide than bleach. But then I don't have to use prime and a couple of rinses when using hydrogen peroxide.
So you feel that product would be fine to use ?

Rocksor

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Nov 28, 2011
San Diego
So you feel that product would be fine to use ?
If it's just hydrogen peroxide (3.5%) and water, then there's no issues. After 24 hours or so of soaking in it, it just becomes water and oxygen. You will actually see bubbles the next day. I soak fish stuff like driftwood in peroxide and water if I want to use it the next day.

Tell your wife 32oz of Hydrogen Peroxide is like $1 while that seventh generation stuff is $4 for 64 oz (so twice the price).

BichirKing

Dovii
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2018
PNW
I've used hydrogen peroxide to clean different things for my tanks. I would never use bleach. I've also used white vinegar.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store