Filtering Tap Water

robcope

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 24, 2018
Just curious about how you all feel about filtering tap water. The water in San Angelo, TX is horrible. It smells and everyone uses reverse osmosis or buys water to drink. We have a low water table so the water contains a lot of impurities. I don't want to use RO water in my Discus or Cichlid tank, but thinking about a charcoal filter (ie.. RV water filter) to take out the sediment and clean the water up just a bit before it goes into the tanks?

Thoughts?

Reactions: tlindsey

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
Just curious about how you all feel about filtering tap water. The water in San Angelo, TX is horrible. It smells and everyone uses reverse osmosis or buys water to drink. We have a low water table so the water contains a lot of impurities. I don't want to use RO water in my Discus or Cichlid tank, but thinking about a charcoal filter (ie.. RV water filter) to take out the sediment and clean the water up just a bit before it goes into the tanks?

Thoughts?

Actually RO water wouldn't be a bad thing for Discus or SA Cichlids that come from the Amazon. Not knowledgeable about the charcoal filtering.

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
June 21, 2019 - Tap Water Chemistry
I googled the San Angelo tap water quality report, above.
The water is quite hard, has high conductivity, and too alkaline for keeping discus, and other S American cichlids, but a charcoal filter wouldn't do anything about that. Using rain water or RO/DI mixed with tap water would help.
For Central American cichlids, it's quite good (chemically in fact almost perfect).
Being a former chemist/micrbiologist at a water production facility, I often find peoples perception of what is good water for their fish, and reality are quite the opposite of reality.
If I lived there, and not willing to get an ROunit, I probably wouldn't keep discus or any soft water South American species, I'd keep Central Americans, or rift lake Africans.

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
I cant help but wonder how long he's been keeping his discus in that sub par water.I was under the impression that discus were very sensitive to water conditions and would only thrive in RO/ very soft water.

Reactions: tlindsey

robcope

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 24, 2018
Over two years for Discus and 9 years for African Cichlids, no issues

Rocksor

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Nov 28, 2011
San Diego
I cant help but wonder how long he's been keeping his discus in that sub par water.I was under the impression that discus were very sensitive to water conditions and would only thrive in RO/ very soft water.
black water wild discus have been bred with clear water wild discus to produce the different color strains that you commonly see in stores or breeders today. I'm assuming OP isn't keeping any wild discus, whether clearwater or blackwater.

robcope

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 24, 2018
black water wild discus have been bred with clear water wild discus to produce the different color strains that you commonly see in stores or breeders today. I'm assuming OP isn't keeping any wild discus, whether clearwater or blackwater.
You would be correct

robcope

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 24, 2018
I currently have four fish tanks and have had three of them for close to 22 years. I have never done anything more than add prime. With the discus tank I use discus trace once a week and Pristine when I clean the tank. I do a fifty percent water change every three days on the Discus tank.

My African cichlids reproduce pretty regularly. Current Cichlid tank has been up for 9 years (moved into current house). Overall, I have had at least an African Cichlid tank since 1988. Yep, I'm old.

So can we answer my initial question?

Next year we are jumping into salt water and will purchase an RO specifically for the fish. In the meantime, my fish are doing well. Oh, also, I have never messed with PH in any tanks and all is well.

robcope

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 24, 2018
I realize, I don't tend to follow conventional wisdom. But, I have never had an issue. Actually, I buy Discus up in Abilene, TX at Pam's Pets and from the Discus Guy online. Again, fish are doing well. Colors are vibrant. At most, they seem to grow a little slow.

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
Your water is perfect for the Africans, but 2 years might not be enough to get the full effect of very hard, high conductivity water on the discus, and with 50% water changes every 3 days , you may never see ill effects.
I believe it is often the cumulative effects of the hard water, with high nitrate, that causes chronic distress, so with large water changes every 3 days, you eliminate half the problem.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store