Filtration / Circulation opinions for my 125

biguebs

Dovii
MFK Member
Mar 5, 2011
Fort Wayne, IN
I’ve been posting quite a bit about the goings on in one of my 125s, now that the stocking seems to have settled in I’m evaluating my filtration. I’m not having any issues with water quality at this time but as the fish put on size I’m worried about having enough - I do a weekly 50-60% WC with the python vac, hitting all the gravel and moving hides to get under. Pretty religious about that.

Stocking: 1 Oscar, 1 firemouth, 1 rainbow cichlid, 5 silver dollars and two plecos (blue phantom and sunshine) that will be moving to a 180 once they’ve put on a little more size.

I have 3 penguin 350s across the back (filled with my own media, not the dumb cartridges) and two wavemakers that I bought from Amazon (I think they are aquaneat, I don’t remember off hand). Currently the wavemakers are placed in top back corners and pointing out and down at a 45 towards middle.

1) General opinion- will this work as it is? Should
I reposition the wavemakers or just eliminate them? Wondering if fish may prefer slower moving water anyway
2) What would you do with this? I know sump would be best but not a choice. This tank is directly above another 125.

I hate canisters but would consider it if need be. I have recently read posts from folks who’s opinions I value that water changes are more important than the filtration a lot of the time.

D1041DC0-3C7B-492A-985A-4550EAD592A1.jpeg

Reactions: Machine 79

lp85253

Polypterus
MFK Member
Mar 12, 2009
I’ve been posting quite a bit about the goings on in one of my 125s, now that the stocking seems to have settled in I’m evaluating my filtration. I’m not having any issues with water quality at this time but as the fish put on size I’m worried about having enough - I do a weekly 50-60% WC with the python vac, hitting all the gravel and moving hides to get under. Pretty religious about that.

Stocking: 1 Oscar, 1 firemouth, 1 rainbow cichlid, 5 silver dollars and two plecos (blue phantom and sunshine) that will be moving to a 180 once they’ve put on a little more size.

I have 3 penguin 350s across the back (filled with my own media, not the dumb cartridges) and two wavemakers that I bought from Amazon (I think they are aquaneat, I don’t remember off hand). Currently the wavemakers are placed in top back corners and pointing out and down at a 45 towards middle.

1) General opinion- will this work as it is? Should
I reposition the wavemakers or just eliminate them? Wondering if fish may prefer slower moving water anyway
2) What would you do with this? I know sump would be best but not a choice. This tank is directly above another 125.

I hate canisters but would consider it if need be. I have recently read posts from folks who’s opinions I value that water changes are more important than the filtration a lot of the time.

View attachment 1441756
yes that's going to work , despite the plethora of mfk'ers that will declare me crazy...if you want to max out bio filtration , buy 12 ac 70 sponges and put 4 in each filter.. i'm sure you know to add the sponges 1 filter at a time so as not to induce a mini cycle...

biguebs

Dovii
MFK Member
Mar 5, 2011
Fort Wayne, IN
yes that's going to work , despite the plethora of mfk'ers that will declare me crazy...if you want to max out bio filtration , buy 12 ac 70 sponges and put 4 in each filter.. i'm sure you know to add the sponges 1 filter at a time so as not to induce a mini cycle...
I have them all filled with about 70% black coarse pad and 30% ceramic rings. I hadn’t heard 1 sponge at a time, that’s interesting. These have been running this way for a long while now.

Reactions: lp85253

lp85253

Polypterus
MFK Member
Mar 12, 2009
I have them all filled with about 70% black coarse pad and 30% ceramic rings. I hadn’t heard 1 sponge at a time, that’s interesting. These have been running this way for a long while now.
you're fine , but you knew that already.. the course pad is basically the same thing as the ac 70 sponge.. 1 *filter* at a time when re doing media.. just some pen 350 info : 2 ac 70 sponges in each side.. i lay the bottom sponge "flat" then slide the top sponge in "upright"... it gives you the equivalent of *2* ac 70's worth of bio filtration in each filter... honestly , and a few people will argue (but they aren't right) .. this setup is as good as an ac 110.. if you need more flow, air pump or powerhead.. but turnover for filtration is overrated (that's an opinion)...

biguebs

Dovii
MFK Member
Mar 5, 2011
Fort Wayne, IN
So after giving this more thought than I’d prefer to admit - and still not wanting to go the canister route - I decided I wanted to be rid of the wavemakers, needed a little more turnover, and wanted more media options/space for BB. Penguin media compartments just not big enough. I ended up going with the following:

-2 AC110s (one on left, one on right)
-1 Tidal 110 (in middle)
-2 sponge filters w/ air stone from aquarium coop in the rear corners

I already had the AC110s and had kind of soured on them overall because they are kind of finicky, but ultimately it was clear that they just flowed a lot more than the penguins. I decided to try a tidal 110 in the middle so that it will pull crud from the top while the ACs work the bottom third on either side. Just got rid of the wavemakers and added two medium sponges for aeration/bb.

The tidal 110 is great so far, but DEFINITELY pulls most of the water through the skimmer. I had come across that info before buying BUT was ultimately looking for that plus the self priming ability so it suits my application. I don’t think I would want to run these exclusively because it just doesn’t pull water up from the bottom intake like the ACs. I like the mix combining them creates.

Obviously I used all of the media from the cycled penguins so I didn’t crash the tank cycle. This was pretty much a dead post but wanted to finish it in case someone came upon it later.

Rass

Aimara
MFK Member
Oct 3, 2005
California
To be honest, it sounds like you are over thinking it. You are doing everything right in my opinion. Recently I've gone full sponge filter on everything that didn't already have something else for filtration, and have far less flow than you on most if not all of my tanks. All filtration is a combination of flow, bio media, and mechanical filtration. Water changes are your best friend here. Some of my tanks lack mechanical for sure but I address that manually when doing water changes. Once you have enough bio the rest all comes down to a balance of how much work you want to put in versus how much work you want your filtration to do for you. You could certainly get by with less. But what you are doing sounds perfectly fine to me, especially with that water change routine.

biguebs

Dovii
MFK Member
Mar 5, 2011
Fort Wayne, IN
To be honest, it sounds like you are over thinking it. You are doing everything right in my opinion. Recently I've gone full sponge filter on everything that didn't already have something else for filtration, and have far less flow than you on most if not all of my tanks. All filtration is a combination of flow, bio media, and mechanical filtration. Water changes are your best friend here. Some of my tanks lack mechanical for sure but I address that manually when doing water changes. Once you have enough bio the rest all comes down to a balance of how much work you want to put in versus how much work you want your filtration to do for you. You could certainly get by with less. But what you are doing sounds perfectly fine to me, especially with that water change routine.
Yeah I have certainly overthought, you know how it does though... tank was stocked all the way so have to tinker with something lol. I just didn’t think the penguins were going to do it long term and I had better options in my attic (the aquaclears), and I don’t have any more fish to buy so why not grab a tidal with some LFS store credit. ?

I wanted to make sure I had plenty of BB space more than anything. Was lacking with 3 penguins. Have been wanting to try a sponge and figure I can get rid of the powerheads and hide the sponges in corners behind some decor and get bb plus extra oxygen exchange. It’s been about a week. Big difference.

Rass

Aimara
MFK Member
Oct 3, 2005
California
Yeah I have certainly overthought, you know how it does though... tank was stocked all the way so have to tinker with something lol. I just didn’t think the penguins were going to do it long term and I had better options in my attic (the aquaclears), and I don’t have any more fish to buy so why not grab a tidal with some LFS store credit. ?

I wanted to make sure I had plenty of BB space more than anything. Was lacking with 3 penguins. Have been wanting to try a sponge and figure I can get rid of the powerheads and hide the sponges in corners behind some decor and get bb plus extra oxygen exchange. It’s been about a week. Big difference.
The only answer for a fully stocked tank is getting more tanks lol!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store