Filtration Help

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
You might consider and find a bio-tower and the lack of footprint it take useful, they can be as narrow as a couple inches or as wide as the largest PVC carried in your area,
and be almost as tall as a tank, or drill ports and be packed with biomedia,
They can be place outside the sump and stand but flow into the sump.
I have made them as narrow as 3" in PVC diameter and as wide as 8" and 5 ft tall.

The one above is @ 8" and made with clear PVC for the viewing portion, but normal PVC components were used for the other parts.
Below you can see standard PVC parts

A cap can be used to minimize spatter.

Damascus

Dovii
MFK Member
Apr 19, 2020
You might consider and find a bio-tower and the lack of footprint it take useful, they can be as narrow as a couple inches or as wide as the largest PVC carried in your area,
I have made them as narrow as 3" in PVC diameter and as wide as 8" and 5 ft tall.

The one above is @ 8" and made with clear PVC for the viewing portion, but normal PVC components were used for the other parts.

This is what I think I might go with. I can use my existing over flows to have this fed by gravity on the way down to the sump. I have the space to run something like this behind the set up, and maybe can build this into my overflow, and have it filter the water on the way down to the sump to be heated and returned.

Surprisingly, with how high the overflow was drilled, it will hold enough water to survive a power outage. The power company tested this for me last night when the tested my area and accidentally cut power to my neighborhood for a few hours

Damascus

Dovii
MFK Member
Apr 19, 2020

How did you plumb this at the bottom?

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
You can cap the open bottom, and put aTee at sump height level with an out flow into the sump .
Somewhat similar to this, it depends on the height edge of the sump.

another example might be with a U shape (as in the fractionate below), although I consider a flat bottom cap and a Tee with a line at sump level more stable.

DRUKENMUNKY

Piranha
MFK Member
Dec 25, 2018
It looks like u have space on top.....i would consider just capping the overflows and building a sump above the tank gravity fed.....for a 300 gallon tank u will flood is power goes out for sure. If u using the bottom i agree with some type of pressurized sytem like a canister is the only safe option. With 10 inches behind the tank the idea of using tall pvc pipes sounds good to but i would still make it sealed ...probly with a clean out cap so u can use polyfill to mechanically cleqn before it go into a long bio chamber. If u use something like a 8 inch pipe thats alot of media.

Reactions: Damascus
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store