Filtration Help

Damascus

Dovii
MFK Member
Apr 19, 2020
It's a 300g tank how is there no room under the stand? Pics needed for sure. I'm confused.
It's not that there isn't room under the stand. The stand was built out of acrylic with very small access panels on the front. It's not that there isn't space down there, it's that I'm limited with what I can fit through the access holes on the front. For example, a bigger sump will not fit through the door because of the size of the hole, and the angle it would have to go in at. I will attach pictures in the morning

Reactions: twentyleagues

Damascus

Dovii
MFK Member
Apr 19, 2020
Found an old picture of when I put lights in there. Whatever goes into the stand goes through this. This is the only way in or out. They built the stand around the 20 gallon sump

IMG_20200728_235644763.jpg

Damascus

Dovii
MFK Member
Apr 19, 2020
Is the stand actually solid acrylic or is it just cased in acrylic panels?
Actual acrylic, with acrylic bracing and then it's wrapped with wood on the outside to match the canopy. It's quite unusual in my experience

twentyleagues

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 5, 2017
Flint town!
Wow they didn't do you any favors did they? I'd need a more detailed look inside it's very hard to make out the detail. But yeah you've got a unique and possibly unsolvable problem. If it were me I'd have ditched the unusable stand and built a usable one from wood. But we can't do that here so what to do........?

Damascus

Dovii
MFK Member
Apr 19, 2020
I can get another canister down there and pack the sump I have with media. It's definitely not being used effectively right now. Maybe be a starting point until I can figure out what else to do

Reactions: tlindsey

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
I can get another canister down there and pack the sump I have with media. It's definitely not being used effectively right now. Maybe be a starting point until I can figure out what else to do
Yes but use a filter sock for mechanical filtration to trap waste.

Gourami Swami

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jul 13, 2006
NJ
Looks like the current sump setup is pretty terrible. Unbelievable that they would build an entire acrylic stand (which in itself I have never heard of before) around a 20 gallon "sump", and not include baffles to make it an actual sump. Who the hell designed this thing is my question.

But anyway, if there is really no way to take the 20 gallon out, but you've got room down there; just throw some big canisters on it. I would consider the 20 gallon just a space for hiding equipment and use enough canisters for the whole tank.

fishhead0103666

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
May 14, 2018
youtu.be
I know you said the rays are arriving soon but do you have enough time to build a stand out of wood?

Reactions: twentyleagues
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store