Filtration help

Monsterkeeper0223

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2020
I have 2 fx6’s running on a 90 gallon tank with one Black wolfish in it and yes I know that’s over kill I don’t know close to everything but I’ve had fish for 6 years now and know as much as I’ve been able to learn but I can’t figure out how to properly be chamgimg the filter media and pads without destroying the tanks biological system the monthly cleanings and one pad changes aren’t a problem but the every 6 month big change messes the whole thing up, I tried to stagger the changing making the media changes every 6 months and 3 months into that the pads are changes and so on so that each thing is still being changes every 6 months but still 3 months apart to try to preserve some of the healthy bacteria any help or ideas?

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
I’d clean the filter at least once a month. I’d rinse the pads in a bucket with tank water or dechlorinated water. Wouldn’t rinse the media unless they are completely clogged and not porous. Again use tank water or water that’s treated with a dechlorinator. Otherwise I’d not touch the media.

Oscar Mike

Piranha
MFK Member
Oct 9, 2010
CA
Personally I try to clean one filter a week so they all get cleaned once a month and too much beneficial bacteria doesn't die off. In your case I would clean 1 fx6 at a time and rotate every 2-4 weeks. I clean my foam pads in the bathtub and rinse each media tray with my python using dechlorinated water while the tank is draining.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store