filtration idea

Bderick67

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 18, 2006
Colorado
hillbilly;588872; said:
Canister filters are not necessary with discus because they need clean water all the time. Filtration is less important because the tank should always be clean. This is best done with water changes, instead of filtration. Some breeders only use sponge filters and change 100% of the water daily. I don't go to this extreme, but I make sure the water is always clean by stocking lightly, and changing water every other day. These fish evolved in acidic conditions where microbial populations are low, thus are more susceptible to "dirtier" conditions than most other fish. They are really easy to keep, as long as you keep up on your water changes, instead of relying on filtration.
Very true. Worry more about your bio filtration and less about your mech and chemical filtration. for your 55g get a emporer 400 run it with out cartriges. this will keep the water flow very high. keep your tank very basic so when doing your 2 40-50% water changes per week you can vacuum up all the debree. With this set up you can have the 6 adult discus you would like even though this is over population. Also best if you can raise these from 2-3" juvenilles. I've had adults that when put in a crowded situation get stressed and quit eating even in pristine water conditions.

My set up is a 85 gallon with a wet/dry rated for 150/200 gallon tank I run and 900 gph return. I changed 40 gallons every 3 to 4 days. Stocked with 8 discus 4-5" 15-20 cardinal tertas, 2 clown loaches. I also have alot of plants which increases the maintence workload but my fish are happy and healthy.

DSCF3953.JPG

WyldFya

Baryancistrus demantoides
MFK Member
Dec 23, 2005
Moscow, ID
hillbilly;588872;588872 said:
Canister filters are not necessary with discus because they need clean water all the time. Filtration is less important because the tank should always be clean. This is best done with water changes, instead of filtration. Some breeders only use sponge filters and change 100% of the water daily. I don't go to this extreme, but I make sure the water is always clean by stocking lightly, and changing water every other day. These fish evolved in acidic conditions where microbial populations are low, thus are more susceptible to "dirtier" conditions than most other fish. They are really easy to keep, as long as you keep up on your water changes, instead of relying on filtration.
That is a dangerous statment. IMO the bio-filtration is equally important to their health as frequent water changes. Nothing less that 50% every other day.

WyldFya

Baryancistrus demantoides
MFK Member
Dec 23, 2005
Moscow, ID
Dr Joe;588809;588809 said:
Wyldfya,

Thanks for clarifying the filter thing.

How big were the 'ten in a 75g' you saw?, just curious.

I'm sure we all would like to have tanks big enough to watch our fish swim back and forth across our living rooms. Ah... to dream.

Dr Joe

The ten that are in a 75 are all heckels, and I think they are 6 months old and they are about 5".

señor_pescados_felices

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 26, 2006
The Real Norcal
thanks everybody,and thank you for your support in my way of going about things,dr.joe.

the tank in question will be bare bottom,and while I have decided (taking the advise of many others) that an emp 400 should be on there,I was thinking maybe one more filter and was wondering about a marineland magnum 350 PRO?they have biowheels to help put back any oxygen into the water they take out.

Dr Joe

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 8, 2006
Sixty Miles South of Tampa Florida
WyldFya;589004; said:
The ten that are in a 75 are all heckels, and I think they are 6 months old and they are about 5".

Thanks Wyldfya

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store