filtration on a 1000 gal

wizzin

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 10, 2006
East of Pittsburgh
I got ya. No problems! I do like the overhead idea for a w/d. Like I said, I think i'm going to do one, but not as the sole means of filtration. Foot print is an important consideration in filter type too. If I had the space to do a huge w/d, I might be more inclined to do it, but for the volume of processing power in a pond canister, vs a w/d of the same capacity, the footprint is a fraction of the size.

Do you think a canister rated for a 2500 gal pond and a 55gal w/d would be a good route? I know you're a w/d fan, but consider the footprint in the equation.

wizzin

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 10, 2006
East of Pittsburgh
I just saw your previous thread here too. The tank has no underside. It sits directly on a concrete slab, and is concrete itself. So, if I did a 4'x3'x2' tank on top of the big tank with a 500gph pump? Then ditch the canister. If it's on top and the pump fails, it is fail safe, as it would simply drain to the tank. I could add another 500gph for circulation jetting under the substrate. That would turn the tank once every 2 hours. I could do a 4'x2'x'2 for $60.00 and 2 500gph for $140 plus media, pvc and some acrylic + cement. Though cost is not really that important.

As for turnover, my opinion is that on a smaller tank (up to 200 gal) high turnover is important. I believe though that on something on the order of 1000 doesn't need to be turned over as much.

WyldFya

Baryancistrus demantoides
MFK Member
Dec 23, 2005
Moscow, ID
That is the exact reason I like the sumpless design more, they are a lot easier to sleep with, when the power goes out. Just make sure you have more drain ability that pumping ability and you will be fine. I'd do an even bigger pump myself, but I don't have experience with tanks that large. Couldn't tell you about turnover ratio's importance at that size.

wizzin

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 10, 2006
East of Pittsburgh
WyldFya;585265; said:
That is the exact reason I like the sumpless design more, they are a lot easier to sleep with, when the power goes out. Just make sure you have more drain ability that pumping ability and you will be fine. I'd do an even bigger pump myself, but I don't have experience with tanks that large. Couldn't tell you about turnover ratio's importance at that size.
You converted me. I'm doing a w/d. It'll save $$ and probably work better in the end. I've been reading, and I think you're right on turnover, although, it seems that it's an important balance between flow rate and length of exposure to the BB colony. I don't want to push it through so fas that the BB can't do their job, but I also need to turnover at a good clip. That said, If I chamber the w/d container right, I should use a 1250gph pump to feed the w/d and a 500gph for circ. It'll still be cheaper than a canister.

Thanks for your help!

WyldFya

Baryancistrus demantoides
MFK Member
Dec 23, 2005
Moscow, ID
I still love my canisters, and still use quite a few, but the w/d has efficiency, plust lower cost, and a little more ease of use IMO.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store