Filtration Tests of Time

Fry

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Nov 24, 2005
New York
Tetra is a great brand and I love the Whisper filters, Whisper air pumps, and Whisper heaters.
I think they're pretty good too (can trap very fine particles for crystal clear water, durable plastic, space saving design) but not the best for your money, for filters Aquaclear is a bit fragile and finicky but has much better flow rates and much more space for media, also doesn't have the backflow - you lose all your beneficial bacteria by replacing the media but the bio foam whisper added somewhat fixed that problem. For air pumps, Rena is king but is very expensive. For heaters, I don't find whisper to be all that accurate, some good ones are marineland visitherm stealth/deluxe and ebo/eheim jagers.

sandtiger

Captain Planet
MFK Member
Feb 14, 2005
NY
I only use HOB filters as of now. Penguin, Aquaclear and Whisper. I don't much care for the AC, it holds a lot of media but after I unplug it for a cleaning I always have to mess around with it, take things apart and add water too it. Not a very strong filter IMO. THe Penguins are my favorite, I have 4 and have not had any sticky wheels to date but i can see how that would be a pain. The Whispers run well, and the smaller ones are quite but it does not hold much media.

faststang1

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 22, 2006
Palm Spring's CA
I've had a Via aqua 750 for 1.5 years and works great.A guy I know had via aqua for 12 years and never had problems. :headbang2 :headbang2 :headbang2

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store