Sunburst.jpg
Mosaic the Discus:
Mosaic.jpg
Both Discus:
Mosaic and Sunburst.jpg
Entire Tank (Updated today):
New Look for tan.jpg

Here is a little update on what I've done with the tank:

I replaced all fake plants with real plants, most of which are Golden Pothos, but there are also regular Pothos and Monstera as well. Cleaned it and taken care of the plants as normal, I've also been messing around with lighting effects (using the plants as the filter for the lights). I'll post a picture of what I mean by that. My vampire shrimp sadly passed away a week or so ago. I've been thinking about getting some Amano or ghost shrimp to help with clean cleanup because I'm still get algae even with all the plants. I'm thinking that with all the plants and rocks, they will be well hidden and won't be eaten by the larger fish. Idk, just a hypothesis. Anyways, I've also been thinking about adding another fish or two...maybe adding more tetras to my school. I will wait and see what I think is best.

Last edited:

SilverArowanaBoi

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Sep 21, 2023
Houston, Texas
Well, apparently I have catfish lovers lol.

Catfish love.jpg

Also some exciting news: Mosaic (the multicolored discus I have) ate from my hand without my training him. I just held the brick of shrimp right inside the water, and he ate from it with my fingers there (so I consider that eating out of my hand). Very excited! :D

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
I've seen that term on this site previously but it's not searchable here. Can you (probably again) tell us what the dosage you use is?
I'm not sure what this has to do with this particular thread, but......
I added a Tbsp of the dry powder to a filter sock once per week for about a month in a filter sock. At the end of the month Cyanobacteria was gone.
After about 24 to 48 hours, I figured the system had been fully seeded, so I'd pull the filter sock and clean out the remains Rid-X powder
1709635970559.png1709636002315.png1709636040616.png
Left, Cyanobacteria before Rid-X,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,Middle same log after Rid-X....................right adding tbsp to filter sock

Trouser Bark

Dovii
MFK Member
Nov 7, 2022
I'm not sure what this has to do with this particular thread, but......

No problem. It is relevant to this thread based on your comment about Rid-X in this same thread on Dec 4 of last year. See page two.

While we're on the topic, the Tbsp you added to the water was for what approx total volume of water and just so I understand correctly you would put a Tbsp in a filter sock for two days and then remove it... and you repeated that procedure for four weeks.

Or is it that you put a Tbsp in a sock once a week and on the last week removed it after 48 hrs?

I'm guessing it's the prior. Did that impact your plants in the same tank?

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
While we're on the topic, the Tbsp you added to the water was for what approx total volume of water and just so I understand correctly you would put a Tbsp in a filter sock for two days and then remove it... and you repeated that procedure for four weeks.
It was for about 300 gallons.
I would put it in the sock for a day of 2, let the bacteria disperse, then rinse the gunk out of the sock.
Rid-X comes as a dry flour-like mix, so as it soaks, the flour media gets a little reeky after a while, if left to rot.
A week later I'd add another spoonful, to keep the bacterial population up, then repeat the process again , and do it over the next week.
By the end of week 4 , the Cyanobacteria were gone as in the photo.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store