Finally, a milestone - Lebiasina astrigata

Umbra

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jun 26, 2005
Toronto, Ontario
I'm still coming down from the high of finally obtaining 3 specimens of a species of fish I've been hunting down for almost 15 years - Lebiasina astrigata (or any Lebiasina/Piabucina really).

Over the years these mini monsters have been consistently at the top of my must have list. They're exceedingly hard to get a hold of despite the genus being very widely distributed across South/Central America and being locally abundant throughout their range. I've inquired countless suppliers and trans shippers and have always received the same answers - either not available or order a box of 200-400 specimens.

Very little information is available on these fish regarding captive care. Most available info points towards them being predatory, primarily consuming insects and smaller fish but otherwise innocuous characins in the same vein as Charax sp. or other small predator tetras. Both my experience and that of the seller is quite different. He calls them "jerk tetras" and now I can see why - they're jerks. Apparently they don't get brought in mixed shipments often because they damage the other fish in transit and since obtaining them, I've found them to be quite aggressive as well. My specimens are small (under 2 inches) and they're in a 15g with a few Lonchogenys ilisha and 2 juvenile Synaptolaemus latofasciatus and they're constantly squabbling with each other and bullying the Lonchogenys. I'm going to introduce some more plants into the tank to try and create more visual barriers while I set up a larger tank for them

Here are a few (poor) photos - I'll try to get better ones later!
20170506_221420.jpg 20170506_221926.jpg

Umbra

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jun 26, 2005
Toronto, Ontario
Rhoadsia altipinna are gorgeous, I have been trying to get my hands on those as well as Gnathocharax steindachneri and Hollandichthys multifasciatus.

The Lebiasina are pretty aggressive - dither fish are tough to find, they kill them and strip the flesh off of the rear half.

Congrats! Very cool that you were able to get your "wish fish". One on my list is a tetra from Ecuador that I last saw in the 80's when I worked for a tropical fish wholesaler while going to college, Rhoadsia altipinna. It's kind of like a Diamond Tetra on steroids. Beautiful hues of purples and mean as all get out. View attachment 1251706

Hendre

Bawitius
Staff member
MFK Member
Jan 14, 2016
South Africa
I'm getting an exodon sorta vibe from these ones. Great stuff :)

Reactions: Umbra
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store