Finally going salt and I need Help

Wiggles92

Dovii
MFK Member
Apr 25, 2009
Pennsylvania
Ok my 125 gal fowlr. Sad far I have two HOB reef octo skimmers bh-2000 both rated for 150 gallons and I have two ac110's one with purigen and floss and the other wig rock rubble. I also have 120 lbs of rock and two 950gph power heads. The sand is agronite and so far the tank has been running for 8 wks. The only inhabitants are two clown fish and six reef blue chromis. I changed my mind on the predator tank because I want to go reef. Now I have a couple questions. Do I need this cheato algae to have a reef setup? Also what else would I need besides lighting? Also would T5 HO's be enough let's say 4 lamp or do I need another type of bulb? Please assist me however everything is going amazing and I plan on ordering more reef safe fish and then getting some begginer level coral. Thanks
It sounds like you're off to an excellent start. Are you having a nice amount of coralline algae growth yet?

Chaeto algae isn't necessary, but it's super useful, especially in a reef setting; it helps with the nitrates & phosphates and provides a home for 'pods which are a great food source for corals & other reef-dwellers. As for your lighting, it all depends the bulbs (type, quality, & quantity) as well as the distance from the corals to the bulbs; you might be able to grow low-light corals towards the top of the aquarium with just a four bulb fixture, but you will not have much luck further down or with corals that need more light. At this point in time, I would go with LEDs as they've really come down in price & can support any type of coral provided that you buy the right fixture(s).

Oh, and we need to see some update pictures! :D

caribemob

Piranha
MFK Member
Feb 24, 2008
philadelphia
Thanks man , I will post pictures ASAP , what's some good LED models to buy not trying to sound like I'm rich but price doesn't matter especially if it gets the job done. Also i will buy a HOB refugium for algae growth and pods. Also for reef tanks do they need these calcium reactors and nitrate reactors. I would get these things cause to me it's all about the highest quality for my soon to be reef

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Wiggles92

Dovii
MFK Member
Apr 25, 2009
Pennsylvania
Thanks man , I will post pictures ASAP , what's some good LED models to buy not trying to sound like I'm rich but price doesn't matter especially if it gets the job done. Also i will buy a HOB refugium for algae growth and pods. Also for reef tanks do they need these calcium reactors and nitrate reactors. I would get these things cause to me it's all about the highest quality for my soon to be reef
If price doesn't matter, then go with Ecoxotic products for your LEDs in the very least. As far as the refugium goes, I would do an external refugium using an aquarium if you can fit it in order to save money yet gain more space; I don't quite remember if you mentioned being able to fit one or not, though. The reactors are not completely necessary, but they're helpful if you get into the more difficult corals; personally, I would forgo them for now until you get the hang of maintaining some easier corals.

Otherone

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 2, 2009
Lancaster,PA USA
Also you wouldn't know how much or even what your dosing, it could be cal + alk or mag or all 3. Softies don't need dosing, alot of large exposed tenticale LPS use very little, plate and scroll type LPS will be at least weekly - tank full of SPS + clams will be daily. The dosing needs to be calculated at least monthly and monitored very regularly. It's best to start studying up on this stuff 1st and get reliable test kits 1st like salifert or red sea.

Coral water chemistry is very symbiotic - incorrect temps can cause the salinity or ph to be off giving you inaccurate Alk or Cal readings throwing off the Mag - and you could wind up dosing to much, too little, or even the wrong thing. Start off with corals that aren't so demanding as you start to understand the saltwater chemistry of your tank. Go slowly - it's a bunch of stuff to get used to.

Pazzoman

Piranha
MFK Member
Apr 5, 2009
New York
Why no sump? I never wanted a sump and now i finally decided to get it...it is well worth it.

It will make fish keeping a lot easier and is inexspensive

caribemob

Piranha
MFK Member
Feb 24, 2008
philadelphia
I increase my stock list and here is what I have, 3 clownfish, 6 chromis, 1 powder blue tang, 1 fairy wrasse, 1 bicolor dottyback, and a flame angel. I want another angel or tang but afraid they might fight. Any suggestions?

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store