Finally my turn, roughly 1,000 gal plywood build

takagari

Candiru
MFK Member
Jan 13, 2009
Manitoba
Just looked up the pricing. damnnn
Wish they had something like that for my reptiles, be great to have the whole house on the same light schedule.

fishguy306

Peacock Bass
Community Vendor
MFK Member
Oct 24, 2005
Illinois
Yeah, they aren't cheap lol. Usually $300 each, they were on sale this past weekend for $240 each. I had also managed to find one used for $150. But they do some super cool stuff. Yeah, it is a little over the top but figure I'm in this deep lol

Ilawis

Candiru
MFK Member
Oct 12, 2015
Perth
Just to clarify for myself your plywood tank is almost 4 meters long? By 1.3 meters deep?

fishguy306

Peacock Bass
Community Vendor
MFK Member
Oct 24, 2005
Illinois
It should actually be over four meters. Outside dims should be roughly 4.8 meters long, 1.4 meters wide and .7 meters tall. It might be a bit larger than I first stated, but I figure why not take up the entire wall instead of leaving a foot or so on either side.

Ilawis

Candiru
MFK Member
Oct 12, 2015
Perth
Sounds great it's going to be a beasty tank quite a long streach of water to filter might be a bit of fun trying to get the circulation going without any dead spots without turning it into a indoor river? Are you going bare bottom or sand? If sand you might want to think about some kind of baffles to slow down the sand sifting from one end to the other...

fishguy306

Peacock Bass
Community Vendor
MFK Member
Oct 24, 2005
Illinois
The plan is for the overflow at the left end of the tank with returns along the back of the tank every few feet with majority at the right end. So you are correct, it'll probably be very river like with most flowing right to left.

The baffles aren't a bad idea as I am going sand, though I suspect with the rays they will blow it wherever they want anyway, not sure it'll do much to slow that down.

Ilawis

Candiru
MFK Member
Oct 12, 2015
Perth
It's kinda a odd idea but what about having a overflow box every few feet (maybe like a rain gutter with slots cut out of it at the top) and a outlet every few feet to try make the tank flow front to back and reduce the drain vortex at the one end if the tank, if it is flowing too fast all your fish will stay at the one end and make you feel like you wasted your time making such a big tank

Ilawis

Candiru
MFK Member
Oct 12, 2015
Perth
I just re read what you wrote before and realised that's about what you were saying you would do anyway, so well done carry on good job I'll take my foot out of my mouth now lol :)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store