Finally new tank - 120g-450l - 60inch-150cm

DJRansome

Aimara
MFK Member
Mar 16, 2008
New Jersey
The reason to remove Sulphur heads is not because there are two, it is because they seldom color well in an all-male tank.

Reactions: Stephen St.Clair

Longmayitreign

Exodon
MFK Member
Aug 28, 2019
Toronto
I think you will be fine with all of the fish, just get multiple filters or an overkill filter if you have that many fish and bump up either the frequency or size of water changes. With most peacocks and haps it's pretty good to overstock because it cuts down on aggression.

DJRansome

Aimara
MFK Member
Mar 16, 2008
New Jersey
Ah the beauty of marketing names. My comment referred to the peacock Aulonocara maylandi. You have haps...lithobates? Spilonotis?

Reactions: Stephen St.Clair

Adam GR

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Dec 14, 2018
Jersey, Channel Islands
Ah the beauty of marketing names. My comment referred to the peacock Aulonocara maylandi. You have haps...lithobates? Spilonotis?
Well colors are right for Protomelas splionotus mara rocks and they had that protomelas stripe/marking but I have a felling that they might be hybrids. According to web sites spilonotus max size is 10inch and those guys are 5-6inch. I have them for over a year and some time ago they seem to stop growing. My Capido Borley enter tank after them and he is already 7inches long.

Stephen St.Clair

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jul 2, 2017
I don't think the Haps are hybrids. Maybe just a natural Z Rock variant? Like species have slight variances depending on the specific location of Lake Malawi it originated from. Either way, very healthy, nice looking Haps.

Reactions: Adam GR

Adam GR

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Dec 14, 2018
Jersey, Channel Islands
I also have a 120 gal. Long tank. I prefer the boxy shape of the 5 foot 120 over the rectangular, thin shape of the 6 foot 125 gallon
Might be a good idea to remove the JD asap. Sooner or later the JD's fins are going to be nipped, or a tankmate is going to suddenly be missing.
I keep a mixed, mostly male African Community. A couple of predator Haps, a few more docile Haps, two Blue Dragons & Ruby Red Peacocks, Red & Blue Zebras, Trewavasae, Zebra Chilumba, Afra, Chailosi & Kenyi. Probably 30 - 35 fish, counting the five Botia loaches.
You have a lot of options with the bigger tank. If you want to add Mbuna into the mix, maybe add a well constructed rock pile.
In the past, I also included a lot of driftwood into the hardscape of my African tanks. Although it looked nice, something about the tannins made the set up look awkward. Once I removed the DW the fish became more active & colorful. My guess is the DW caused a slight drop in PH.
Your new tank looks awsome.
Hi
I have a question, I’ve ordered few more fishes, mainly peacocks and one mbuna which is cynotilapia afra jalo reef. Do you think this is a right choice? Do you think it will be ok with mainly peacoks? Its easy to find info of most aggressive and less aggressive mbuna but where in that chart you will put jalo reef? Is it closer to those really aggressive ones or more on the docile side?? You managed to keep zebras with peacocks so Im guessing everything is possible.

Last edited:

Stephen St.Clair

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jul 2, 2017
Keeping Mbuna with Peacocks & Haps really comes down to having a good sized tank, a really well designed hardscape coupled with ample open swimming area above the rocks.
IMO, the male Afra Jalo Reef is a Mbuna show fish. One well worth keeping. I think its general demeanor will likely be similar to its cousin, the Zebra Chilumba; "Dominant", but not a killer.
Although only 5" inches, my Zebra Chilumba is the tank boss. He even dominates the bigger Fusco.
Your Jalo Reef will likely claim the biggest & tallest rock in the tank & spend the day grazing on algae.
I have a Purple Lupingu Afra. He exibits similar behavior, but on a much smaller scale. It also digs in the gravel more.
Here's a pic of my Zebra Chilumba. It closely resembles the Jalo reef. Its just missing the yellow coloration on the dorsal.
20200208_185959.jpg

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store