Finally! Some fish in my reef!

Deadeye

POTM Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Aug 31, 2020
After a long fallow I can finally get some fish back in my fluval 13.5! Friday makes 90 days!
I just picked up two clowns to go into qt so I can observe for a bit, and then they’ll be going in!
6144A80F-F926-4449-B761-7C92A96CE741.jpeg

Deadeye

POTM Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Aug 31, 2020
Near identical to mine lol tank recovering from the velvet?
Yeah, back in September/October I had ich/velvet/brook. There were symptoms of all of them. I lost a clown, gramma, neon goby, and firefish.
Hopefully all disease is gone after the 90 day overkill!

Gourami Swami

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jul 13, 2006
NJ
Nice looking clowns! After you just did that proper fallow, i personally would keep the clowns in qt for a solid month to not risk infecting main tank again. Would be super frustrating I'm sure if you reinfected main tank.

Reactions: Deadeye

Deadeye

POTM Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Aug 31, 2020
Nice looking clowns! After you just did that proper fallow, i personally would keep the clowns in qt for a solid month to not risk infecting main tank again. Would be super frustrating I'm sure if you reinfected main tank.
I’m definitely tossing that idea around. I do trust the place I got them from very much (Aquarium care center), all of their clowns are qtd I’m pretty sure the clowns are even bred there. I am keeping a keen eye out for any signs of illness. I saw one behave sort of like it flashed, but it looked almost like it was territorial, as it only did it for a second while the other clown was going near its space. Also, the main tank corals are starting to do poorly without the added nutrients from fish.

Potato Patatto

Aimara
MFK Member
Nov 11, 2020
What’s your feeding like for the clowns, I’ve been giving mine frozen brine and some flakes but those cubes are way too much for them. I have to put it in my other tanks or throw the rest out. I didn’t think feeding smaller fish would be so much trouble I never feel like they’re full cause of all the swimming they do. They also never get that satisfying belly bump that makes me feel like a good parent lol

Deadeye

POTM Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Aug 31, 2020
I am feeding omega one marine pellets, don’t remember the exact name. I put 2-3 pellets in twice a day. They pick on it, but the pellets do seem a little large for them. I’ll probably feed the occasional brine shrimp as well. In the main tank they will also have basically unlimited mysis, amphipods, and copepods to graze on. Nice thing about a 90 day fallow is that I have enough pods to feed a mandarin (for a few weeks at least).

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store