Fire eel and african cichlids

wseguy420

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 2, 2005
So i am thinking about adding a fire eel , 12", to my african setup( 200+ lbs of rock) but i am not sure if this will work or not. I have had tire track eels in my tanks before and never any problems so i would think this would work, what do you guys think?

I have 4 peacock cichlids, a couple of yellow labs, 4 red zebras, an acai, and an electric blue. I have 3-4 spotted pims, synodanis eruptus , pleco and a 4 line cat that arent really bothered by the cichlids.

wseguy420

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 2, 2005
well i don't think that the fire eels mouth will ever get big enough to eat my cichlids, the smallest is 3-4 inches and at at least 1 wide. I have seen some 2 1/2 ft eels and their mouth really only looked big enough to eat flood worms, brine shrimp and maybe some night crawlers

freeskierrocket

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 31, 2005
SouthEast, PA, USA
wseguy420;628039; said:
well i don't think that the fire eels mouth will ever get big enough to eat my cichlids, the smallest is 3-4 inches and at at least 1 wide. I have seen some 2 1/2 ft eels and their mouth really only looked big enough to eat flood worms, brine shrimp and maybe some night crawlers
I tried spiny eels 3 differrent times, and they all died in my mixed african tank (tons of rock and hiding places).............If you do go ahead and try it make sure you get a larger specimen and do a rock rearrange to qwell territorial aggression right before you add the fire eel.....Good luck and let us know how it goes if you go ahead with that!!!:) :headbang2

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store