Fire Eel care vs Cichlid and Bichir

Cyradis4

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 9, 2019
Good morning,

So I now have a monster fish tank. Right now, its got 5 Bichirs (3 Endli, 2 Delhezi). I have a Striped Pike (probably P. Valenzuela) that'll be joining them. I've been very interested in some Fire Eels at the LFS, they seem really interesting fish so I've been doing research. But there seems to be a lot of different info about them. So before I buy one, I thought I'd ask a few questions.

So, a few questions.....
1. Substrate. The tank right now has thin back sand. Would I need to increase the depth?

2. Acclimation. From the sounds of it, these fish find it tough to acclimate? So they'd be best in their own tank until I know they are feeding well? Right now, the Bichirs are on live food (the Endlis are being crabby about shifting). The Endlis don't like frozen yet, though the Delhezis will take it. Should I wait until the Endlis will take tilapia before adding the Fire Eels, and will the Fire Eels help themselves to the Bichirs minnows? (I'm fine with that just wanna know). The Endlis seem to be wild caught (they have many of the behaviors), so not sure how quickly they'll transition. I'm starting to breed my own minnows, just in case they stay crabby.

3. Multiple Fire Eels. The LFS is suggesting I get at least a pair. Most of the websites are saying one per tank only. From the sounds of it on these forums, I can have 2 in a large well fed tank. So, in a 180 gallon tank (where the fish will all be come spring), would 2 work or is it better to have one?

4. The stray Pike. Striped Pike, probably P. Valenzuela, and the LFS says wild caught. He'll do ok with the Bichirs, but will he get along with the Fire Eels?

Thank you in advance! I'd like to keep these really awesome fish, but I need to decide if now's the time to get them.
C4.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store