Fire eel feeding

SLS_23

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Oct 20, 2018
Czech Republic
Hi, two mounths ago i bought 18´´ Fire eel wf. But I have problem with feeding. Fire eel dont want eat. I tried blood worms, live fishes, pelets etc... Can you help me please? I have him in community tank(1x Convict cichlid 8´´, 2x Gold managuse cichlid 4´´,oscar 4´´, 2x green terror 3´´ and tire track eel 7´´.)

Fish Tank Travis

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Feb 28, 2016
Dayton, OH
If possible, try to move him to a separate tank on his own to get him feeding. Fire eels can be very skittish when they are introduced into a new home. This is made worse by moving them into a new home with a lot of other tank mates.

SLS_23

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Oct 20, 2018
Czech Republic
If possible, try to move him to a separate tank on his own to get him feeding. Fire eels can be very skittish when they are introduced into a new home. This is made worse by moving them into a new home with a lot of other tank mates.
I can try to move big fish to the second tank, but i havent second tank for small fish(but i can move them to the bucket for few days)

Edit: what is the best food for them?

Malte81

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jul 15, 2014
Germany
Hi,
my eels loved frozen shrimps and big earth worms.
I would try a few more things.
Sometimes they are picky.
They also need to feel comfortable.
Do you have a pipe or something else where he can hide himself?

SLS_23

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Oct 20, 2018
Czech Republic
Hi,
my eels loved frozen shrimps and big earth worms.
I would try a few more things.
Sometimes they are picky.
They also need to feel comfortable.
Do you have a pipe or something else where he can hide himself?
I have 2 pipes and lot of wood and stones.

For earth worms is too dry and cold and shrimps are impossible to get in ym county-

Malte81

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jul 15, 2014
Germany
Then the best you can do is provide good water quallity and temperature, nice tankmates and try again several foods.

Aquaman6

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Apr 29, 2014
Wisconsin
When I had my fire eel I would buy nightcrawlers at Walmart for fishing. Just make sure you don’t get the color enhanced worms. Almost every Walmart I’ve seen has a small fridge for bait by the sporting goods/bait and tackle section.

Titanicaquatics

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Sep 17, 2008
WI
I have an 8" fire eel that is currently on hunger strike as well. it has only eaten live red worms from the bait shop, even after 3-4 days without food I can't get it interested in anything else. tried shrimp/krill, frozen brine shrimp, frozen bloodworms. no luck changing it's mind from fresh live worms. I think it is on hunger strike now because I removed a mess of guppy grass from the tank. It has a mess of PVC to hide in but may not feel comfortable coming out with the extra light from the lack of guppy grass.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store