Fire Eel growth rate

sheajared

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jul 26, 2011
Stillwater, MN
Can anyone help me on the growth rate of fire eels? Ive had mine for about 4 months now, i got him at about 9" and hes still about 9". Do they really just grow that slow?

ElectricBlueSeanBurch

Piranha
MFK Member
Nov 24, 2010
Panaque Paradise
Try worms or nightkrawlers. Mine eats fresh shrimp and is spoiled. The sooner you get it on a food higher in protein the sooner it will grow faster

MonsterMinis

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 28, 2009
Wisconsin
feed him lots of nightcrawlers at that size prolly cut into 3rds... and do lots of regular water changes.. mine grew about 1" per month the first year or so and didn't slow down much until they where hitting 18-20". imo Bloodworms are good to get finicky eaters eating.. but nutritionally are pretty much worthless.

fishmanejr

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Feb 29, 2008
West Seneca, NY
Rather than starting a new thread, I thought I'd ask the same question here. I bought a fire eel a little over a year ago at about 9-10". He's in a 55 gallon tank and has been fed earthworms and raw cleaned shrimp (from the supermarket) since I bought him. He has only grown about 2-3" and is about 12-13" now. If they should be growing 1" per month, what should I feed my guy to achieve this growth rate? Water parameters are good: pH 7.6-7.8, temp 76-78F, ammonia and nitrites are zero, and a 33% water change is done every other weekend. Any suggestions!?

sheajared

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jul 26, 2011
Stillwater, MN
Rather than starting a new thread, I thought I'd ask the same question here. I bought a fire eel a little over a year ago at about 9-10". He's in a 55 gallon tank and has been fed earthworms and raw cleaned shrimp (from the supermarket) since I bought him. He has only grown about 2-3" and is about 12-13" now. If they should be growing 1" per month, what should I feed my guy to achieve this growth rate? Water parameters are good: pH 7.6-7.8, temp 76-78F, ammonia and nitrites are zero, and a 33% water change is done every other weekend. Any suggestions!?
Fire eels just aren't fast growers, but the diet you have going seems solid. I'd say stick with what you're doing and just be patient, they are slow growers.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store