Fire eel. What do they eat besides...

BostonPatriot

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2005
boston
Live black worms?
I was at one of the only great fish stores in the Boston(very few) and I saw this guy. I wanted one of these for a while but I didn't want to pay shipping fees to buy one online. Anyways, what do these guys like to eat? I got a couple caves for him so hopefully it will be happy.

fireEel1.jpg

FireEel2.jpg

joeytoe

Semper fidelis
MFK Member
Sep 10, 2005
Canton, Massachusetts USA
As far as i know ( ive never had a fire eel but also want one) theyll eat Shrimp, Worms, an fish. In extreme cases I think you can get them to eat pellets but im not positive.

BostonPatriot

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2005
boston
Joeytoe they got about 6 or 7 of them over at Tropic Isle in Framingham. They are 29 bucks(about 8" give or take) but I am not sure how much they should go for. All I know is the shipping is more than that to order them online.

snogard

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 11, 2005
TUCSON, AZ
they'll eat brine shrimp, bloodworms, blackworms. and small rosies. the price will depend on where you at. very pricy here in AZ. $50 for 8-9" although you get better deals from time to time.

K.O.D

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 4, 2005
Lincoln, Lincolnshire, England
When we got ours they would only eat bloodworm, but at 24" bloodworm is not an option, we starved them and now they eat prawns ( whole ) and earthworms

here is a pic of them with the rays, they will dive under the rays skirt to get prawns!!!

Steve

01.09.05 006.jpg

redtailfool

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Feb 17, 2005
New Jersey
The one that i bought ( jumped out soon after ) , loved cut up pieces of shrimp. Its appetite is impressive. For a tiny mouth it eats a lot !

BostonPatriot

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2005
boston
How long does it take to hit 24"? How long can I keep this guy in a 75 gallon for?
BTW: Great looking fire eel KOD

thefishofdoom

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Aug 16, 2005
California
iv had mine they grow relitively normal mine eats shrimp and black worms loves the worms and thats a good price where i am the $15 for a 4 to 5 incher and no so heathy ive had mine for about 6 months i think dont realy know but grew like 3 inches hope this helps and also they love to dig and are very personable

Hakon

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 12, 2005
Son, Norway
When I bought mine, it would not eat. But i tried with live worms and that made it eat. Now he eats bloodworms, shrimp, heart of ox, mealworms, fish, mysis and artemia.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store