Fire eels with barbs?

Scoves

Feeder Fish
Feb 5, 2020
I am trying to plan out a 350 to 450 gallon tank and my daughter wants an eel in it. I plan to have severums, earth eaters, electric blue acara and some other fish in it. I have my 150 gallon right now with Denison Barbs, Odessa Barbs and Gold barns along with other fish. So the question is can FIre eels be with these barbs or will it eat them? You always read dont put fish with fish that will fit into their mouths but most things dont give examples of a good size fish and type (torpedo shape or rounded) that can fit in their mouths. I was thinking of putting my barbs in for dither fish but I wont do something if it will cost me in the end. Gold denison barbs are to expensive to have as a food source. I could do other types of eels just trying to figure what is best I suppose. I could always leave out the barbs but figured a long tank with them as dithers would be sweet. Thanks for the help.

Also willing to hear about other eels other than just the fire eels. I am in no rush on this tank. I need to get my house built first but I have the wifes approval so I am planning lol.

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
I am trying to plan out a 350 to 450 gallon tank and my daughter wants an eel in it. I plan to have severums, earth eaters, electric blue acara and some other fish in it. I have my 150 gallon right now with Denison Barbs, Odessa Barbs and Gold barns along with other fish. So the question is can FIre eels be with these barbs or will it eat them? You always read dont put fish with fish that will fit into their mouths but most things dont give examples of a good size fish and type (torpedo shape or rounded) that can fit in their mouths. I was thinking of putting my barbs in for dither fish but I wont do something if it will cost me in the end. Gold denison barbs are to expensive to have as a food source. I could do other types of eels just trying to figure what is best I suppose. I could always leave out the barbs but figured a long tank with them as dithers would be sweet. Thanks for the help.

Also willing to hear about other eels other than just the fire eels. I am in no rush on this tank. I need to get my house built first but I have the wifes approval so I am planning lol.
kno4te kno4te

Rob909

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Aug 31, 2018
Fontana, CA
It’s ALWAYS a gamble when you put larger fish in with fish that fit in their mouth.

Now that we have that out of the way, I feed my fire eel whole market shrimp that are larger than some of the fish in my tank. I’ve got him in there with tiny pictus cats, small Congo tetras, and Siamese algae eaters. All of which can fit into his mouth as he grows.

I find fish to be much less predatory if they’re fed frozen or pellet foods. I do not feed any live foods to predatory fish and it usually works out pretty well in the long run. In my opinion, if they’re used to eating live, anything that fits in their mouth becomes food.

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
Should work out fine. As long as the barbs are full grown or close to it then it’ll work out.

Fishman Dave

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Nov 14, 2015
West Yorkshire
Odessa barbs are the smallest thing you have from what I can see. All the rest should be fine with a full grown fire eel or tyre track eel.
I don’t expect either eel would eat the Odessa barbs but no guarantee.

Reactions: Scoves and tlindsey

Scoves

Feeder Fish
Feb 5, 2020
Thanks all for the info. Will see as time nears what I choose. Maybe figure out an eel that does not get quite as big as those two or something even. That or dunno risk it or just decide to keep them in my 150 and instead have silver dollars be my dither or something. Just thought would be nice to see the barbs in that big of a tank .

Reactions: Fishman Dave
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store