Fire pike stopped eating!

Kingst3r

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 13, 2011
NJ
Ok guys i need some help. My fire pike recently stopped eating. I had him for over 8 months n was eating fine. I recently stopped turning on the lights as much n that is when he has been acting up. Swims around a lot still but only sticks to one side as his rival, a corpintus, is on the other side. He used to come right to the top of the water n eat , but know he doesn't even acknowledge the food. Water changed weekly, tried floatin flakes, pellets, sinking pellets, shrimp, n silverfish. He is in a 130 gallon with about 11 other midsize cichlids. Please help guys!!!

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Kingst3r

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 13, 2011
NJ
How do i get rid of it man? Salt, water changes, what? Thanks man

Kingst3r

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 13, 2011
NJ
Anyone?!?! he ate some silver sliders last night, but not like he use to gobble them down. Tried some pellets today and he just swims around the food like its not even there. He also hides in the same piece of fake wood like he is frozen, just sits there. Then he will swim around the take. He use to be very active n swim right up to the glass, not anymore!!! How should i go about treating this? No abnormal markings or anything!

EBJDguy

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 3, 2012
New Castle, DE
If you do suspect parasites, give him a daily dose of 3% epson salt (not the same as other salts, ok for planted tanks) and within 3-5 days it should be gone. The way to administer this is by taking a level TBS of epson salt and putting it in 500mL of water, stir and dip the pellets into it until they are somewhat saturdated... this twice a day for 3-5 days... good luck!

adixon816

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Oct 11, 2012
Piscataway, NJ
Have you seen anything suggesting parasites? Normally white stringy poop is a good indicator. If not how often do you feed him? If there was no stringy poop fast him for a week and see if his appetite changes. Sometimes fish get in a mood.

Sent from my Nexus S 4G using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store