FireMedic's DIY RaY FooD

peterp63

Gambusia
MFK Member
Feb 13, 2008
On a boat!
Ok, I got 1 lb of spirulina and 1 lb of chlorella. Actually, just made a protein shake with a teaspoon of each... color definitely changed, but the taste was the same.... anyways, how much would you all recommend per batch? I'm thinking a tablespoon of each for my first batch... thoughts???

Spirulina and Chlorella.jpg

Spirulina and Chlorella.jpg

DB junkie

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jan 27, 2007
Iowa
Anyone ever used egg grate with this stuff? Perfect cubes! lol Didn't stick to it as bad as I thought it would. Works pretty slick.

WhispersinMyHead

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 12, 2011
In my Head
If concerned about not enough vitamins why not just marinate the Tilapia, prawn, muscles, smelt or whatever you feed in a vitamin marinade sauce for a few hours or over night before feeding. It will absorb the vitamins and will eat the food whole minus any mess and less prep time. Just asking out of curiosity. Its how I do it.

peterp63

Gambusia
MFK Member
Feb 13, 2008
On a boat!
If concerned about not enough vitamins why not just marinate the Tilapia, prawn, muscles, smelt or whatever you feed in a vitamin marinade sauce for a few hours or over night before feeding. It will absorb the vitamins and will eat the food whole minus any mess and less prep time. Just asking out of curiosity. Its how I do it.
How can you ensure that the vits/mins are "soaking" into the meat? How much of that high-dollar water is wasted in the process? How much of it is washed away as soon as it hits the water before the fish/rays have a chance to eat it? I'm not trying to be insultive. Those are the types of questions I asked myself when I used to "soak" the foods prior to feedings. The gelatin takes all of the ingredients and binds it together so that whatever consumes it gets it all. Plus, after checking into those manufactured vits it looks like spir and chlor are what actually makeup the ingredients aside from the distilled water.

DB junkie

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jan 27, 2007
Iowa
Last batch I just poured into the shallow pan like usual but cut a piece of egg grate to fit into the pan. Poured to the top of the egggrate and after it sets up you just pop the cubes out.

johno27

Piranha
MFK Member
Feb 21, 2006
Eastpointe MI
Last batch I just poured into the shallow pan like usual but cut a piece of egg grate to fit into the pan. Poured to the top of the egggrate and after it sets up you just pop the cubes out.
genius! I am pretty handy with a knife after 17 years of being a cook/chef but I might even try that

DB junkie

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jan 27, 2007
Iowa
I can cut with a pizza cutter straight at first but by the end of the jello sheet the only difference between a skiers tracks and my pizza cutter line is the fact the pizza cutter only leaves 1 line. Then I wonder how my pups feel about tackling the piece of food in front of them that is bigger then thier head......

IF it works with egg grate I'm sure there's a million other mold ideas that will work.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store