Firemouth groups size 120G

Ogertron3000

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Nov 6, 2017
Australia
Im getting closer to setting up my tank again and still leaning towards some kind of C.A setup. I was wondering how many firemouths would be an ideal group size. I've had them in 2 or 3 before and one always becomes dominant and chases the others around too much.
Also thinking about tank mates , most likely a. Bunch of guppies as dithers and other cichlids possible could be a convict or J.D, wouldn't mind a Salvini but I've found them to be too aggressive. Do you guys have any suggestions keeping in mind the limited options we have in australia?

Gourami Swami

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jul 13, 2006
NJ
I'd skip the other cichlids, the ones you listed will be a good bit more aggressive than the firemouths. If you really wanted another cichlid species I might try rainbow cichlids, H multispinosa.
I would go for a group of around 10ish in a 120. With your dithers

Reactions: Ogertron3000

Ogertron3000

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Nov 6, 2017
Australia
I'd skip the other cichlids, the ones you listed will be a good bit more aggressive than the firemouths. If you really wanted another cichlid species I might try rainbow cichlids, H multispinosa.
I would go for a group of around 10ish in a 120. With your dithers
That's a good idea, you actually can get rainbow cichlids here quite easily. I was thinking if I let the firemouths get established and then add some other cichlids that might help keep the aggression under control but have learned the hard way cichlids can easily mess up any plans you make. Was thinking a solo con or J.D might be o.k though.
Also was wondering if there are any suitable catfish? I want a sort of biotope without being too hardcore about it.

Gourami Swami

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jul 13, 2006
NJ
The CA catfish are almost impossible to come across in the hobby. Rhamdia guatemalensis and other "cenote cats" are what they are called. I've been looking for one for a while now with no luck. Some ancistrus (I think a. chagresi?) can be found in panama. So a bristlenose pleco is still cheating, but is probably as close to correct as you'll be able to find.

As far as aggression, you won't have any problems as long as you have 5+ IMO. The firemouths will disperse their aggression between themselves. The solo con or JD might work, but more likely throws a wrench in it. I would probably leave it out if it were me, but hey, your tank.

Ogertron3000

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Nov 6, 2017
Australia
The CA catfish are almost impossible to come across in the hobby. Rhamdia guatemalensis and other "cenote cats" are what they are called. I've been looking for one for a while now with no luck. Some ancistrus (I think a. chagresi?) can be found in panama. So a bristlenose pleco is still cheating, but is probably as close to correct as you'll be able to find.

As far as aggression, you won't have any problems as long as you have 5+ IMO. The firemouths will disperse their aggression between themselves. The solo con or JD might work, but more likely throws a wrench in it. I would probably leave it out if it were me, but hey, your tank.
Unfortunately a lot of fish are impossible to get here in australia, it's one of the reasons doing a strict biotope is so hard and a bit limiting as you can't get the variety you would like.
I think I will go for the bristle ose and the rainbows but give the others a miss. Wouldn't mind a few more supporting characters if you have any suggestions?

Toiletcar

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Jun 5, 2008
USA
Bigger numbers of firemouths would keep them from getting too aggressive. I’ve read the best is to keep them slightly crowded. I’d start w/ 8-10.

Stanzzzz7

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Sep 26, 2015
Uk
Depending on the sex of your firemouths you could do a group of 12 comfortably.
You won't know the sex of them until they mature though.
Ideally females will out number the males.
I don't think you need any more cichlids, thorichthys are very entertaining on their own in groups. They also make a good visual display once fully grown.
I would definitely not add a convict. They are far more aggressive than thorichthys and will cross breed with them.
A good sized shoal of swordtails or sailfin mollies would be biotope correct and make great tank mates.
You could also half the number of meeki and add a group of thorichthys pasionis.
The yellow colour contrasts well with the red meeki and they are also found together in the wild. You could also consider thorichthys helleri, my personal favourite. They to can be found in the wild with meeki and pasionis around the catazaja region of Mexico.

Thorichthys helleri
_20170121_152951.JPG

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store