Firemouth with bloat?

Galactik

Piranha
MFK Member
May 30, 2019
I just noticed this morning one of my juvenile firemouths had an abnormally large belly and I'm not sure what's going on.

Nothing has changed feeding wise or parameters either, but seems like this has happened overnight.

Could this be bloat somehow?

I know it's not parasites as I have recently dosed the entire tank with general cure after noticing some white stringy poop on a tank mate.

Any ideas?20191201_142547.jpg20191201_142538.jpg

Stephen St.Clair

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jul 2, 2017
That looks like some sort of "Intestinal Prolapse". Could be caused by constipation, or an obstructed vent.
If the FM is still eating, cut back a bit & start feeding a veggie based flake or pellet food. Hope things get better soon.

Reactions: Galactik

Galactik

Piranha
MFK Member
May 30, 2019
Yeah this is not the one with stringy poop, not that I noticed at least.

He is still very active and eating. I guess I'll try to monitor and not feed for a day or two?

Would salt be of any help in case of constipation or anything like that?

As for water changes, I do 50% weekly and servive my filters regularly (never all at once)

Thanks everyone!

twentyleagues

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 5, 2017
Flint town!
Epsom salts have a laxative effect. You could soak some food in Epsom salt (just plain no scented) and feed to the fish. May help push whatever through.

Reactions: Galactik

Galactik

Piranha
MFK Member
May 30, 2019
So I'm happy to report that this little guy is back to normal!

I have no idea what happened there tho lol
He got really fat like that over night and back to normal in about 24 hours????

My only guess is that maybe he ate too much of something? Never had this happen before.

Thank you everyone for the advice!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store