Firemouths just layed eggs!!!

Onion01

Polypterus
MFK Member
Aug 8, 2007
Miami
I have to admit that this was weird. Yesterday I was worried if one of them was okay, today I find my flowerpot full of eggs, and my other fish bullied away in my 75g. They probably laid eggs between yesterday night and today, since they didn't have their breeding tubes down yet. I have never spawned firemouths on purpose, and definitely not unintentionally. What do you suggest I do? Should I move them? Where should I keep them, how long till they hatch, what do I feed the fry? I'll post pics if you guys want, and if the parents don't bite off my fingers.

Bderick67

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 18, 2006
Colorado
I would just leave them as they are for now. The eggs should hatch in 3-4 days and the wigglers will become free swimming 3-4 days after that. Once they fry is free swimming you can siphon them out and keep in a fry tank. They will be large enough to consumer ground up flake food.

Wackamole

Gambusia
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2007
Charles Town Wv
congrats, maybe sell them when they get bigger to your LFS

Bderick67

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 18, 2006
Colorado
Wackamole;1180316; said:
congrats, maybe sell them when they get bigger to your LFS
Could be a possiblity, but will take 4-6months of grow out to get them to sellable size.

Onion01

Polypterus
MFK Member
Aug 8, 2007
Miami
I have no sponge filters seeded yet. They are all dry. What do you suggest for the fry tank?

Bderick67

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 18, 2006
Colorado
Get a sponge going now in the main tank. A ten gallon will do fine for a while. Once the fry are free swimming you can siphon out and put in the ten gallon. Do 30% W/C every other day because you will end up with alot of uneaten food at first.

Liam

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jun 30, 2007
Brisbane - Australia.
Nice, any pics?

Mystix212

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jun 27, 2007
Brisbane, Australia
Firemouths are all show and no go. They wouldnt do any/much damage to fish at all. They use thier flaring gills to intimidate fish, rather than just bit the heck out of them.

When you do a water change (Or do it ASAP) use 10G of that water and put in into the 10G grow-out. Then use a dirty filter cartridge and clean it into the 10G. By this time your sponge filter should have a reduced cycling process time. But you may want to keep them in the main tank untill its safe.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store