First cichlid tank stocking questions

XxTheWolfxX

Feeder Fish
Sep 18, 2015
Hey, all! I'm doing research for an Lake Malawi cichlid tank I might set up in a few months and had questions to ask about stocking it. I'm thinking of doing a 75 gallon tank, or a five foot tank if I can fit it and convince my landlord, LOL. I'm going to do a minimum of a 75, but might be able to squeeze in a 125, so would like questions answered for both sizes. I'll ask about setup and decor in another thread.
So.
Do peacock cichlids need to be overstocked in their tank like mbunas? If so, what would be your recommendation for stocking both tank sizes? What should I do for stocking? A mixed male and female tank? Male only? I understand they're semi-aggressive, but I don't want a ton of agression if I can help it, while getting the most out of their color and size. And what about haps?
And what about tankmates? I would like some tankmates, and have heard synodontis catfish work. It's going to have a sandy bottom a couple or few inches deep and was wondering about loaches or a bichir or gobies or whatever--something that will burrow through and stir up the sand and look nice while doing it. They don't have to clean up waste or excess food, but it would be nice if they would help me keep up with it. I don't care if they need a different diet or not. I don't care if I don't see them a ton, so nocturnal or shy fish would work.

Reactions: Deadliestviper7

Deadliestviper7

The Necromancer
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2016
Peacock cichlids would be cool,I recommend getting 4 or so, and a bottom feeder like a trio of clown loaches.
They really don't need to be overstocked,but having some decorations/places to hide around helps.

james99

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Mar 3, 2009
savannah,ga
For all male 12-15 fish is normally a good number. You'll have to mix in haps to get enough fish that don't look alike. Stuff that looks similar normally end up fighting for dominance.

Mixed gender do with 4 species, with 1m/3-4f, only one aulonocara since the females are hard to identify. Pick 3 other haps groups with females that look different for each group.

I have a few synos in my tank, they normally pop out at dinner time. I have an angelicus and an occelifer. I also have 5 spotted silver dollars. I was eyeballing a 7" polypterus at the lfs, but it sold before I made up my mind. I'm not sure if it would work or not.

Reactions: Deadliestviper7
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store