first Dat any tips?

FishNCash

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Aug 1, 2009
Earth
Following. Ive only had one for a week or two and hes stubborn as hell. Will only eat frozen BW and brine shrimp.

Not sure if this was coincidence or it actually helped but after i added a bunch of cheap petco fish the dat stopped hiding and increased it appetite.

I was about to ask this question. So tou think its better to just try with the frozen foods for now and not worry about pellets ? You think theres enough nutrients in BW and BS to make a difference? He wont even touch tilapia or shrimp
BW has terrible nutritional value. Stick to BS and Mysis Shrimps. Fatten them up then try pellets. Dats are not that hard to train on pellets.

only one I've seen in years at any lfs. I actually bought 2 but one died the first night. no signs of aggression.
was one hiding more than the other? Dats tend to be aggressive toward it own kind.

BichirKing

Dovii
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2018
PNW
was one hiding more than the other? Dats tend to be aggressive toward it own kind
not that we observed. looking at the corpse I didn't see any signs of aggression. it was the skinnier of the 2. we didn't see it eat but the other one ate like 5 small w.c. minnows.

jaws7777

Probation Member
Probation Member
Mar 1, 2014
White house 1600 Pennsylvania Ave NW, Washington
BW has terrible nutritional value. Stick to BS and Mysis Shrimps. Fatten them up then try pellets. Dats are not that hard to train on pellets.

was one hiding more than the other? Dats tend to be aggressive toward it own kind.
Thx bro. In your opinion is tilapia (if i can get him to take it) more nutritious than the brine shrimps

FishNCash

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Aug 1, 2009
Earth
Thx bro. In your opinion is tilapia (if i can get him to take it) more nutritious than the brine shrimps
Yes it’s more nutritious but depending on your dats size I would not give tilapia until 2.5-3”. Keep in mind baby dat stomach is sensitive at this size.

jaws7777

Probation Member
Probation Member
Mar 1, 2014
Yes it’s more nutritious but depending on your dats size I would not give tilapia until 2.5-3”. Keep in mind baby dat stomach is sensitive at this size.
Thats good bud. I dont know much about these fish, much appreciated

Vancouver_98683

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Dec 29, 2010
so after work I'm picking up my first datnoid, a gold dat. it's about the size of a nickel. it'll be in a 55g by itself. any tips or suggestions would be welcome! I've read a bunch on them but like to hear some more first hand experience.

Bought the Dat from what fish store ? You’re from the Portland/Vancouver area right? Haven’t seen indo dats since late last year.

islandguy11

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Sep 17, 2017
Thailand
BW has terrible nutritional value. Stick to BS and Mysis Shrimps. /QUOTE]
To say BW have terrible nutritional value is kinda simplistic -- true they don't have much in the way of vitamins or minerals, and yes they do have quite a bit of fat (not so bad for a growing young fish), but they have plenty of protein which growing fish can easily utilize:

The following results were done at "Riverina Laboratories" Albury, NSW, Australia and pertain to black worms, which nutritionally are nearly equivalent to blood worms
Crude Protein % as received..........................................................................54.52
Crude Fat % as received.................................................................................11.40
Crude Fibre% as received................................................................................0.20
Moisture % as received...................................................................................17.83
Solids % as received.........................................................................................82.17
Crude Protein % dry weight basis....................................................................66.35
Crude Fat % dry weight basis...........................................................................13.87
Crude Fibre % dry weight basis........................................................................0.24

Ocean Nutrition gives the following for their frozen blood worms.

Guaranteed Analysis
Crude Protein (min) 8.3%
Crude Fat (min) 1.2%
Crude Fiber (max) 3.9%
Moisture (max) 81.7%
(Protein as a percentage of dry matter - 45.3%)

Sure BS and Mysis Shrimp have better overall nutrition but there's nothing wrong with feeding a young Datnoid (or other fish) BW's, esp. if coming from a good and trusted source.

In fact a majority of Thai fish breeders & brokers, compromising a billion dollar industry here, feed their juvies heavily on blood worms -- but heck, what do they know? And I wouldn't doubt if it's much different in Malaysia, Singapore, Vietnam or Indonesia. Sure there are economic reasons likely involved, but nonetheless they turn out some pretty OK fish here on the whole, just saying.

Personally again though I would simultaneously try to get them on pellets at around 3" -- some might have an easier experience but hundreds of stories online will tell a different story when it comes to difficulty of getting (esp. bigger/older) Dats onto pellets, hence why many recommend an earlier the better approach.

Reactions: eeJamBOYan

jaws7777

Probation Member
Probation Member
Mar 1, 2014
Im pretty sure the package of BW i have say 5. Something for protien content

FishNCash

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Aug 1, 2009
Earth
Variety is the key to a balance diet. I still give my fish BW as a treat.

This is why I don’t post anything on this sites bcuz too many people want to be technical and be political correct. Fish are like babies. Raise how you want and I raise my the way I feel is correct. There is no right or wrong way to do this. A fish will still grow but healthy fish don’t die early.

Reactions: eeJamBOYan

islandguy11

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Sep 17, 2017
Thailand
Variety is the key to a balance diet. I still give my fish BW as a treat.

This is why I don’t post anything on this sites bcuz too many people want to be technical and be political correct. Fish are like babies. Raise how you want and I raise my the way I feel is correct. There is no right or wrong way to do this.
That's absolutely true esp. when it comes to feeding strategies -- though it's really got nothing to do with being technical or politically correct -- so hopefully somewhat different views being expressed shouldn't keep you from posting on the site, it's how we learn from each other. In any case I'm pretty sure we all can agree yes variety is for sure key to a healthy diet/fish.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store