First Filter Sponge Rinse

RTCfan86

Piranha
MFK Member
Feb 25, 2009
Fraser, MI
How long do you typically wait before rinsing your filter pad/sponge for the first time (will do in a bucket of the tank water)? The tank has been going about 3.5 weeks now. I’m not worried about too much waste being in there since I’ve just been lightly feeding 2 neons while cycling, but the white sponges have been a dark brown/red from the Seachem.

BIG-G

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Dec 12, 2005
NC
I typically rinse filter sponge when I’m doing normal tank maintenance.
Or anytime I notice a reduction in flow where the water is flowing through a sponge block.

Reactions: tlindsey

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
I do 2 wc's weekly on my 180 gallon and dunk and lightly squeeze the block sponge in the AC 110 every wc.

RTCfan86

Piranha
MFK Member
Feb 25, 2009
Fraser, MI
Thanks for the replies. But in a new tank, how long do you wait before you clean it for the first time (not to mess with any growing bacteria)? tlindsey tlindsey BIG-G BIG-G

Reactions: tlindsey

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
Thanks for the replies. But in a new tank, how long do you wait before you clean it for the first time (not to mess with any growing bacteria)? tlindsey tlindsey BIG-G BIG-G
If aquarium is fully Cycled you can do it then. Also depends on how much waste the filter is collecting. If the aquarium is lightly stocked every other week would be fine. Heavy eater's I would do it every wc.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store