Goggy

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Sep 29, 2015
Thailand
Absolutely.
View attachment 1431386

View attachment 1431387

Would you agree that these are T. argenteus and not chalceus?
T. chalceus have a large eye to head ratio, their eyes are very big when compared to the size of their heads.
T. argenteus have a small eye to head ratio, their eyes are small when compared to their heads. Their eyes are also positioned on the upper portion of the face.

If you ask me, I think yours are T. argenteus. But you might want to compare them with some photos on google.

Reactions: Backfromthedead

FJB

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Dec 15, 2017
Philadelphia, PA
Definitinely Tetragonopterus argenteus. Beautiful!
I would love me some of those.

There is a curious confusing issue with the nomenclature/common names of species of this genus in the hobby:
- There is T. argenteus, not commonly, but here and there seen, such as your beautiful troop (congrats!)
- Then there is another species, Tetragonopterus chalceus, wich is similar to T. argenteus, but lacks the black spot on the base of the tail as in argenteus.
Of course neither T. argenteus, nor T. chalceus have close relation with fish in the genus Chalceus, quite different surface predators, also in the Characiformes.

Thanks for sharing!

Reactions: Backfromthedead

Backfromthedead

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jul 12, 2017
Fredericksburg va
Thanks all for kind words and information. They were sold as argenteus, got them about two years ago at around quarter size. Very entertaining, interesting fish. They behave like mini piranhas. I never find carcasses of other fish that die in the tank, just whatever skeletal bits the argenteus leave behind.

I think they'll make a good long term tankmate for the lent though.

Backfromthedead

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jul 12, 2017
Fredericksburg va
You will fall in love.
I'm finding this to be true. After nearly one month with the rest of my community, the pike has become a "centerpiece" fish, right in the middle of the melee at feeding times and constantly providing entertainment with both territorial and predatory presence. Instant classic for me, beautiful and active fish.
20200917_195226.jpg

Reactions: Fishnerd360
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store