FIRST SALTWATER TANK (ADVICE)

FuriousFish

Piranha
MFK Member
Jan 8, 2012
America
Overstocked unless you like ich and other diseases caused from high nitrate stress - I wouldn't go more than 10 fish over a period of 1-2 years - this ain't FW and 50% weekly water changes are unaffordable.
Well i may be a noob to saltwater but there is NO WAY that you can tell me that i can only keep 10 or less fish in a 180 gallon. Most of the fish i listed are small to. Plus a 55 gallon sump...

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

FuriousFish

Piranha
MFK Member
Jan 8, 2012
America
I would NOT start with a blue damsel, frankly there a******* and very hard to get out of our tank if you needed to. And not sure what others are talking about, green chromis are very hardy and will do fine as a starter fish. Although I would suggest fish-less cycle, much easier and will probably end up saving you money.

Sent from my iPad using MonsterAquariaNetwork app
That is EXACTLY what i have read about damsels... When i read the others posts i was kinda like, What??? LOL thank you for confirming for me:)

FuriousFish

Piranha
MFK Member
Jan 8, 2012
America
Alright for aquascaping try this;
http://www.reefsmagazine.com/forum/reefs-magazine/100520-aesthetics-aquascaping.html
OR this if you want to get fancy; https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-k8qUCe4774

And about your stocking list; be careful about the toby puff, they bite fins. I'm not sure that's the best choice. But then again, personality changes via individual.

And remember, when accumulating fish, don't do multiple at a time, accumulate them within a couple weeks, all a couple days apart. That way your biosystem will be able to catch up with the new increased amount of biowaste (poop) made by the new fish.

Have fun
Thanks for the link

FuriousFish

Piranha
MFK Member
Jan 8, 2012
America
Alright for aquascaping try this;
http://www.reefsmagazine.com/forum/reefs-magazine/100520-aesthetics-aquascaping.html
OR this if you want to get fancy; https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-k8qUCe4774

And about your stocking list; be careful about the toby puff, they bite fins. I'm not sure that's the best choice. But then again, personality changes via individual.

And remember, when accumulating fish, don't do multiple at a time, accumulate them within a couple weeks, all a couple days apart. That way your biosystem will be able to catch up with the new increased amount of biowaste (poop) made by the new fish.

Have fun
Do you recommend any other type of puffer that is peaceful? (And not crazy expensive LOL)

ckcdrummer

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 21, 2012
CA
That is EXACTLY what i have read about damsels... When i read the others posts i was kinda like, What??? LOL thank you for confirming for me:)

Yeah a few of my friends started off with blue damsels and there just a pain. Technically chromis, clown fish and blue damsels are all types of damsels and there all pretty hardy, I started with a clown fish and it worked out well.

ryeguy28

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 3, 2009
rocky mount,NC
seeing a few bits of stupid advice here

JASamper

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 4, 2012
California
Well i may be a noob to saltwater but there is NO WAY that you can tell me that i can only keep 10 or less fish in a 180 gallon. Most of the fish i listed are small to. Plus a 55 gallon sump...

Maybe you don't understand what he was trying to tell you. Basically it takes a year or so for your tank to properly mature and if you rush to many fish in early on and overstock your tank your fish will get sick and die.

ckcdrummer

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 21, 2012
CA
Maybe you don't understand what he was trying to tell you. Basically it takes a year or so for your tank to properly mature and if you rush to many fish in early on and overstock your tank your fish will get sick and die.
Agreed, add too many fish in too quick could cause for disease or even ammonia spike killing everything.

FuriousFish

Piranha
MFK Member
Jan 8, 2012
America
Agreed, add too many fish in too quick could cause for disease or even ammonia spike killing everything.

Yes, i am thinking maybe only 2 or so fish a month or less depending on water quality i have completely read up on saltwater and feel quite confident on what i am doing...

ryeguy28

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 3, 2009
rocky mount,NC
make a build thread once you get stuff together ... and im sure we will be able to help along the way ... yes keep slow on adding fish

i find protein skimmers unnecessary
on my tank i did biweekly 15% water changes ...
tested parameters daily
you need good flow ... lots of water-changes ... that is the key

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store