First time acrylic tank reinforcement weldon 40

wednesday13

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 2, 2008
The deep south
“Normal” wear n tear IMO… could def. use some 40 fillets/bevels to make the seams new. That seam that looks the worst/most white needs to be addressed. Looks like the stand wasent long enough and thats a direct result. Ive dealt with much worse. U only need a 3/8”-1/2” bevel of #40 on the inside to make those seams last another life time.

Reactions: Newandoverthetop

Newandoverthetop

Exodon
MFK Member
Sep 20, 2021
“Normal” wear n tear IMO… could def. use some 40 fillets/bevels to make the seams new. That seam that looks the worst/most white needs to be addressed. Looks like the stand wasent long enough and thats a direct result. Ive dealt with much worse. U only need a 3/8”-1/2” bevel of #40 on the inside to make those seams last another life time.
The stand was long enough but it wasn't good for acrylic it only supported tank around edges and was open center not even a center brace and apparently it was set up for around 10yrs with the improper stand probably lucky I don't have worse seams attached is a pic of after I added 2x4s and a pic how it is now 3/4 plywood for it to sit on20210909_044139.jpg20210906_081635.jpg

Reactions: wednesday13

wednesday13

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 2, 2008
The deep south
The stand was long enough but it wasn't good for acrylic it only supported tank around edges and was open center not even a center brace and apparently it was set up for around 10yrs with the improper stand probably lucky I don't have worse seams attached is a pic of after I added 2x4s and a pic how it is now 3/4 plywood for it to sit onView attachment 1473771View attachment 1473772

Aye nice ??… gotta start with a good base. I like where ur headed. Cple pours of 40 and shes good as new. Thats the proper way to support it also, direct on plywood. Well braced.

Reactions: Newandoverthetop

Newandoverthetop

Exodon
MFK Member
Sep 20, 2021
Well thanks to everyone who helped and definitely big thanks wednesday13 wednesday13 thanks to all of you I was able to do my first pour last night and it went pretty well I will update with pics after work today can't thank you guys enough and boy is weldon 40 some intense smelling stuff lol

wednesday13

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 2, 2008
The deep south
Well thanks to everyone who helped and definitely big thanks wednesday13 wednesday13 thanks to all of you I was able to do my first pour last night and it went pretty well I will update with pics after work today can't thank you guys enough and boy is weldon 40 some intense smelling stuff lol

Exellent news man ?… and it sure is lol… b glad it was just 1 batch/pour… ive went straight to space pouring up to a gallon in one day ??☠ #NotRecommended

Newandoverthetop

Exodon
MFK Member
Sep 20, 2021
Well my bevels have turned out pretty good so far but just realized I probably didn't increase the strength of the tank much just realized the weld on 40 I got and have been using is expires does anyone know what happens as weld on 40 ages? Mine expired last month was half full gallon when I got it

FJB

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Dec 15, 2017
Philadelphia, PA
I think you will be good. From what I read, even a goodly amount of time past expiration only means the Weld-on 40 may look more yellowish than clear, but that the resulting (cured) coloration is just fine. A month past expiration is nothing if one consideres that by law, expiration dates only mean 'best if used by', as opposed to no good. So you probably did increase majorly the quality of your seams. I am no expert, just what I have read.

Newandoverthetop

Exodon
MFK Member
Sep 20, 2021
I think you will be good. From what I read, even a goodly amount of time past expiration only means the Weld-on 40 may look more yellowish than clear, but that the resulting (cured) coloration is just fine. A month past expiration is nothing if one consideres that by law, expiration dates only mean 'best if used by', as opposed to no good. So you probably did increase majorly the quality of your seams. I am no expert, just what I have read.
These was my thoughts exactly I know weldon 40 get used in some important applications I imagine weldon only tested the strength of there product up to one year and say expires in one year for liability reasson but I will say the stuff is extremely clear either unmixed or mixed and cures perfectly clear as well so maybe that's a good sign

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store