Fish advice new tank

CVS1982

Exodon
MFK Member
Feb 20, 2018
Hello,

First a short introduction :)

I have start to have fish tanks when i was 8 years old and keep different sizes till me 18th. One of those tanks was a discus tank arround 300 ltrs (arround 80 gallon) with 7 fish in it with a lot of times eggs and fish larfs.

After that i stopped keeping fish because i got other prio's in live :)

5 years ago i both a small tank from 180 ltr (47 gallon) which i changed after a couple of months for a tank from 180 cm (70 inch) and arround 550 ltr (145 gallon)

This tank have discusfish in it and some l-numbers and brochis.

No i will move next year to a new house an i am planning to get a new and bigger tank :) This tank will me 300 cm in length (118 inch) and arround 2000 ltr (528 gallon)

This tank will be custom build with a biological filter system under in and led light with sunrise emulation etc. etc. Totally the way i want my aquarium to be :)

For this new tank i am looking for options for fish to have in the tank.

From my old tank i will take the following fish with me:

- L081 - Baryancistrus sp,
- L015 - Peckoltia Vittata
- 8 x Brochis multiradiatus
- L024 (arround 4/5 inch in size at the moment)
- LDA033 / L142 - Snowball Pleco (arround 4 inch in size at the moment)
- L273 (arround the 3/4 inch at the moment)

This are all fish from south america / the Amazone area and in my new tank i want only fish from this aera with a lot of wood, sand bodem and some plants.

Could you please give me advise / options what kind of fish i could choose?

Some things to keep in mind:

- I don't want to have discus fish or Angelfish
- I don't want to have fish the have the need of "special" water.
- I am a huge fan of L-numbers so i thinking to have a least one bigger one like the blue eye panaque or L25
- I don't want freshwater stingray's

BTW i live in The Netherlands, so English is not my native language. Already my excuses for grammar faults in my posts :)

Already my thanks for the help / suggestions and advise!

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
Hello,

First a short introduction :)

I have start to have fish tanks when i was 8 years old and keep different sizes till me 18th. One of those tanks was a discus tank arround 300 ltrs (arround 80 gallon) with 7 fish in it with a lot of times eggs and fish larfs.

After that i stopped keeping fish because i got other prio's in live :)

5 years ago i both a small tank from 180 ltr (47 gallon) which i changed after a couple of months for a tank from 180 cm (70 inch) and arround 550 ltr (145 gallon)

This tank have discusfish in it and some l-numbers and brochis.

No i will move next year to a new house an i am planning to get a new and bigger tank :) This tank will me 300 cm in length (118 inch) and arround 2000 ltr (528 gallon)

This tank will be custom build with a biological filter system under in and led light with sunrise emulation etc. etc. Totally the way i want my aquarium to be :)

For this new tank i am looking for options for fish to have in the tank.

From my old tank i will take the following fish with me:

- L081 - Baryancistrus sp,
- L015 - Peckoltia Vittata
- 8 x Brochis multiradiatus
- L024 (arround 4/5 inch in size at the moment)
- LDA033 / L142 - Snowball Pleco (arround 4 inch in size at the moment)
- L273 (arround the 3/4 inch at the moment)

This are all fish from south america / the Amazone area and in my new tank i want only fish from this aera with a lot of wood, sand bodem and some plants.

Could you please give me advise / options what kind of fish i could choose?

Some things to keep in mind:

- I don't want to have discus fish or Angelfish
- I don't want to have fish the have the need of "special" water.
- I am a huge fan of L-numbers so i thinking to have a least one bigger one like the blue eye panaque or L25
- I don't want freshwater stingray's

BTW i live in The Netherlands, so English is not my native language. Already my excuses for grammar faults in my posts :)

Already my thanks for the help / suggestions and advise!

Do you like Geophagus species or Severums?

Reactions: dan518

Gourami Swami

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jul 13, 2006
NJ
Plecos are poop machines (as I'm sure you know) and you have a lot of them. Especially if you add a large panaque, that is a lot of bioload. I would just be mindful of that.
I would do some mid-sized geophagus species like the Tapajos Redhead. 6-8 of them. Plus some smaller cichlids such as keyholes or bolivian rams.

CVS1982

Exodon
MFK Member
Feb 20, 2018
Plecos are poop machines (as I'm sure you know) and you have a lot of them. Especially if you add a large panaque, that is a lot of bioload. I would just be mindful of that.
I would do some mid-sized geophagus species like the Tapajos Redhead. 6-8 of them. Plus some smaller cichlids such as keyholes or bolivian rams.
I am aware that they are poop machines but it is a large tank with a also a biological filter of 300 liters and a pump of 5000 liters the hour on it.

Smaller L-numbers don't produce a lot of waist btw but the Panaque, L024 en L273 in adult sizes will make a lot of mess.

Also i will do a water change of 50% every week. I am used to doing 2 x 60% with my discus tank at the moment.

I am not a fan of smaller chiclids.

Bolivian Rams i already have in my tank now, nice fish :)

I have checked most of the fishes named here and i think that a group of Geophagus with a couple of Heros Severum is an option

Then some nice L-numbers in it :)

Are there maybe south american Chiclids that can be hold in a couple that are like 30/40 cm? so arround the 15 inches

BTW can i talk in centimers and liters here or do most people not measure in this?

Gourami Swami

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jul 13, 2006
NJ
I am aware that they are poop machines but it is a large tank with a also a biological filter of 300 liters and a pump of 5000 liters the hour on it.

Smaller L-numbers don't produce a lot of waist btw but the Panaque, L024 en L273 in adult sizes will make a lot of mess.

Also i will do a water change of 50% every week. I am used to doing 2 x 60% with my discus tank at the moment.

I am not a fan of smaller chiclids.

Bolivian Rams i already have in my tank now, nice fish :)

I have checked most of the fishes named here and i think that a group of Geophagus with a couple of Heros Severum is an option

Then some nice L-numbers in it :)

Are there maybe south american Chiclids that can be hold in a couple that are like 30/40 cm? so arround the 15 inches

BTW can i talk in centimers and liters here or do most people not measure in this?
Hello,
I think a group of geophagus with a couple severums would be a good option. As far as fish that grow to 15", a good option would be hoplarchus psittacus, the true parrot cichlid. You will definitely have a heavy bioload with all these fish in a 150, but it seems like you keep ontop of your maintenance.

Reactions: justarn

CVS1982

Exodon
MFK Member
Feb 20, 2018
Hello,
I think a group of geophagus with a couple severums would be a good option. As far as fish that grow to 15", a good option would be hoplarchus psittacus, the true parrot cichlid. You will definitely have a heavy bioload with all these fish in a 150, but it seems like you keep ontop of your maintenance.
150 gallon? the tank will be arround 520 gallon.

When i look to some pictures on Google the hoplarchus psittacus is a really nice fish!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store