Fish advice new tank

CVS1982

Exodon
MFK Member
Feb 20, 2018
I see some really nice fish!

I will make a list off them all and also need to look which fish will be available in The Netherlands where i live

At the moment i think about this

Brochis Multidarius - add some extra to the group
The L-numbers that i have now
1 x Big panague (the blue eye is my favorite)
a group geopahagus (7 or 8 and i need to think about which one)

And then another group of some Chiclids (need to have a look to all types that are mentiod above

at the moment this Heros Severum is my favorite:

Is this a natural color or not?

BTW do you know any books with the chiclids of south america ? I have one with all L-numbers in it.

Reactions: justarn

justarn

Arapaima
MFK Member
May 24, 2011
Kent UK
That's natural yes, it's a red spotted severum. Be careful when purchasing these tho as the normal gold severum has this colouration when small, it then loses its spots.

CVS1982

Exodon
MFK Member
Feb 20, 2018
Thanks for the information!

The number of fish i mention is that normal for a 528 gallon?

When i look discus fish people will advise to put a group of 30-35 fish with brochis and smaller l-numbers so for my opinion this is not to busy

When i have a look to some LFS the say the Heros severum red spotted is not a natural variationbut a breed variation

Last edited:

justarn

Arapaima
MFK Member
May 24, 2011
Kent UK
Seems they are selectively bred gold's for more red colouration, so line bred I guess. Probably genetically weaker than regular gold's to an extent.
Ornatum cichlids could work... have you seen them? Pic attached.

I personally think you have room for all mentioned fish and more. 535g is a massive tank.

Screenshot_20180801-151648.png

CVS1982

Exodon
MFK Member
Feb 20, 2018
Last Friday i went to a fishstore that is specialized in South American Fish and L-Numbers

This was just to have a look to the different L-numbers in full size.

After that visit some things changed with the new fish in the tank :)

They had like 7 Blue Eye Panaque (the biggest one was 40+ cm!) but this fish where all hanging / laying still in the water doing nothing! A little bit simular like the alligators in the zoo, if they where plastic you will not notice :)

They hadd some full grown L114 and L600 and those look beautifull! I think the L114 was even more beautifull then the L600. The pattern looks so nice! Also when they feeds the fish some frozen mussels it was really cool to see!

Also the price of the L114 was much better then the price of the Blue Eyes or L025 (that looked not that nice as on the pictures)

So i think i will take of thoses in my new tank.

Also they had different geophagus species that where nice to see.

So i think i have a part of the fish stock already definied :)

Reactions: Gourami Swami

CVS1982

Exodon
MFK Member
Feb 20, 2018
So we are one year in the future now and the tank is there in the new house :)

Size is 275 x 80 x 80 cm

Fish for now are:

L014 - Size arround 18 cm and 8 x Geophagus tapajos Red Head (arround 7 cm)

Planning to put more fish in in the nearby future but soon i am going on a holiday for 3 weeks and i don't want new fish in my tank before it.

Here already a picture of the tank empty.

Backfromthedead

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jul 12, 2017
Fredericksburg va
So we are one year in the future now and the tank is there in the new house :)

Size is 275 x 80 x 80 cm

Fish for now are:

L014 - Size arround 18 cm and 8 x Geophagus tapajos Red Head (arround 7 cm)

Planning to put more fish in in the nearby future but soon i am going on a holiday for 3 weeks and i don't want new fish in my tank before it.

View attachment 1383787

Here already a picture of the tank empty.
Outstanding! Thats a great tank size.

Reactions: CVS1982

islandguy11

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Sep 17, 2017
Thailand
Wow, so much potential with that tank and digging on those roots, looking fwd to seeing more moving color after you vacation. Usually we're kinda sad when our vacations end -- in your case though you certainly have something nice to look fwd to after getting back, enjoy both.

Reactions: CVS1982

CVS1982

Exodon
MFK Member
Feb 20, 2018
Here some new pictures:

After my holiday i am gong to look for some bigger L-numbers and a couple of Chocolate Chiclids

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store