Fish are dieing after water changes

timmycat

Gambusia
MFK Member
Dec 23, 2009
frankfort Il
Every time I do a water change I loose a fish. It seems like only barbs, id sharks, and bala sharks can't handle the water. All my other fish do just fine I have an ro system with all brand new filters in it. But I'm still losing fish after water changes. Any suggestions?

Davidiator

Piranha
MFK Member
Sep 17, 2017
At home
How many gallons of water do you remove?
Do you use a dechlorinator with the new water?
What are the parameters of the new water before you put it in the tank?

squint

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Oct 14, 2007
CO
Are you pre-heating the water or is it going in cold? Do you have chloramine? It's a challenge for RO filters. You need catalytic carbon and DI. I had to switch to catalytic carbon, add additional canisters and test for chlorine breakthrough regularly. When I added a 2nd membrane and booster pump I had to add even more carbon stages for a total of 5 catalytic carbon stages.

Davidiator

Piranha
MFK Member
Sep 17, 2017
At home
Ya,
I just use a penguin 300 and put some dechlorinator in and I have never had a problem with chlorine.

My only problem with the filter is that it sends out such a strong current that I can't have any water lettuce or duckweed.
I wanted some to make the light a little dimmer since I own 3 fish that only come out if the light is dim.

FreshyFresh

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Aug 24, 2015
Buffalo NY
Are you using all RO water? There could be a pH shift happening during the water change that's too much for the fish to handle.

timmycat

Gambusia
MFK Member
Dec 23, 2009
frankfort Il
I use warm water when I do my water changes. I put both the hot and cold all the way on when I run the ro. And change about 25 percent of the water. And as far as testing the water. What should I be testing for? Is there a test kit I can buy? I noticed before I was using the ro the water had a strong smell of chlorine. I don't smell it as much with the ro.

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
I use warm water when I do my water changes. I put both the hot and cold all the way on when I run the ro. And change about 25 percent of the water. And as far as testing the water. What should I be testing for? Is there a test kit I can buy? I noticed before I was using the ro the water had a strong smell of chlorine. I don't smell it as much with the ro.

Please answer all questions so members can help resolve the water change issue.

Reactions: kno4te

Davidiator

Piranha
MFK Member
Sep 17, 2017
At home
How do you have an aquarium without a test kit?

Get the liquid test kit from petco and test for nitrites, ammonia, and Nitrates.

The test strips are no where near as accurate as the liquid test kits.

You may be putting poison in the water. (Ammonia, Nitrites, or Nitrates)

Also please answer the question.

Are you putting a dechlorinator in the new water or not?

If no then That is a huge no no. You MUST put dechlorinator!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store