Have you tested your water?
Yes
If yes, what is your ammonia?
If yes, what is your nitrite?
low
If yes, what is your nitrate?
low
If I did not test my water...
...I recognize that I will likely be asked to do a test, and that water tests are critical for solving freshwater health problems.
Do you do water changes?
Yes
What percentage of water do you change?
11-20%
How frequently do you change your water?
Every week
If I do not change my water...
...I recognize that I will likely be recommended to do a water change, and water changes are critical for preventing future freshwater health problems.
I thought I had ich in my African Cichlid tank. After watching some videos and doing some online research, I determined that it was not ich. I followed the instructions for general skin parasites and raised the temp to around 86. When I got up the next morning I took all of the stuff out of the aquarium to be able to get at the fish to remove them as the prognosis was grim and it looked like it was the virus. I noticed that none of the fish had the white crap on them any more. They looked like crap, but the visible parasitic stuff was gone. Most of the affected fish were jack dempseys which got in there somehow but got along with the Africans just fine so I left them alone. I put them in a 10 and put a tsb of blue in and this morning nothing was dead or otherwise bad looking except for the fact that they still look like crap.

Has anyone ever heard of the visible stuff disappearing overnight?
They are not going back in the tank they came from. If, and assuming they will heal, If they recover, they will go in the South and Central American tank which is full of wild caught fish I got in the canals in the Miami area.

My water is fine. I check it periodically and have a drip system with an overflow to replace 12 gallons per day. The numbers are always great.

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
Hard to tell from the description but could be body flukes that died.

Mark K

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Oct 2, 2017
I suppose it is possible. I did some research on it yesterday, but I could not find any real good pics. Everything was fuzzy or too small to be of any use.

That really bothered me. If someone is going to make an entire site section on diseases, wouldn't you think they would use pics bigger than 1 inch by 2 inch?

Ashton Turner

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 6, 2021
Hello there, well i'm no scientist but i do have a suggestion..
it sounds like its white spot as when white spot develops it has to find a fish to cling onto to feed, well if they found the fish when they were weak, then when you boosted the temp, they died off as they were already critically weak... some people have had this occur. i stubbled by this post and i was like i love rambling on about fish and everything fish related so why not? haha

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store