Fish dying off one by one in a 75G planted tank. Help!!

dp2018

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 20, 2018
Hi all,

I started my new 75 G fresh water planted tank a few months back. After introducing a few new fishes, my Tiger Barbs and Denison Barbs became very lethargic. They used to swim all around and now either float on the surface gasping for air or stay by the heater or under the drift wood. In the last one week I lost all my Tiger Barbs - 13 of them and one of the Denison barbs. I lost them at the rate of 1 or two a day All the symptoms seemed to suggest that it was a case of Chilodonella and for the last one week I have been adding Seacham ParaGuard to the tank. Frustrated about losing the fish and worried about the rest of them. Please help!

Tank - 75 Gallon Planted.
Filter - Eheim Ecco Pro 2236
Substrate - Ecco Complete
All natural decorations - Real plants, Drift wood, Sieiryu Rocks.

Ammonia - 0
NitIte - 0
Nitrate - 20
PH - 7.6
Temp : 78.5

Water Changes - 20% weekly.
Sachem Prime.
Now using Seacham ParaGuard Daily (35ml daily)

Stock (what remains) - 3 Denison Barbs, 16 Neon Tetras, 2 Cory Cats, 3 Sword tails. 4 platys. 9 Zebra Danios.

Appreciate your inputs.

blackwolf911

Polypterus
MFK Member
May 24, 2014
new york
Hard to say when your parameters are perfect .. are you making sure the water you put in during water changes is the rightt temp?..

dp2018

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 20, 2018
blackwolf - I keep the water in buckets with prime overnight and then add them the next day. Not exactly temperature matched - But not too cold either. Please recommend if there is a better way to do it.

Squint - No - I am not using any liquid carbon products.

Appreciate your help.

squint

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Oct 14, 2007
CO
Are you using compressed CO2? How long did you have the barbs before they started falling ill?

dp2018

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 20, 2018
I am not using CO2. I had the barbs for about 6 week before they got sick. I introduced some danio's from a petco and thats when the problems started.

dp2018

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 20, 2018
Thanks Brett. I saw a white/brown worm like thing sticking to one of the platys today. Could that be worm ? If it is, would ParaGuard work for it or should I try some other medication ?

Appreciate your help.

Brettnewell4454

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jan 24, 2018
Use seachem metroplex and kanaplex mixed with focus and frozen food or pellets with either water or garlic guard. The last few fish I've gotten tho I put thru a 3 day treatment of NLS hex shield pellets and that works good also. Dosing kana and metro to the water can sometimes work and chloroquine phosphate sometimes works for internal, but I wouldn't count on paragaurd to work. I do very much like paragaurd for other ailments tho. Worked great for me for a very long time for ich and flukes until I learned about chloroquine phosphate

Reactions: dp2018

skjl47

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
May 16, 2011
Tennessee
Substrate - Ecco Complete
All natural decorations - Real plants, Drift wood, Sieiryu Rocks.
hello; All natural does not mean safe. Seeing as we are pretty much guessing at our end let me start with a guess that there might be something with the Ecco complete; the drift wood or the sieiryu rocks. I am not familiar with the ecco complete substrate so can not say one way or another. If the plants are rooted they will need a substrate so perhaps remove the drift wood and rocks?

keep the water in buckets with prime overnight and then add them the next day. Not exactly temperature matched - But not too cold either
Hello; I do it this way all the time in terms of temperature. Does not seem the issue.

introduced some danio's from a petco and thats when the problems started
hello; A QT is a fish keepers best friend. If in fact a disease was introduced there may not be any effective treatment. I would not add any more new fish until this has played out. If all the fish dire then the tank should be disinfected.

I do not know any background. Do you have other tanks?

Reactions: dp2018
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store