Fish Food got took over by flour mites...

skjl47

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
May 16, 2011
Tennessee
Not sure if I should try feeding it or not any one tried it? or should I buy new food
Hello; I get your concern but in the wild fish eat bugs. I fly fish and some of the flys are imitations of bugs.
A different but in some ways similar thing happened to me. It was not food but a box of Rid-X. I had left an opened box of Rid-X in the bathroom. There started being tons of small bugs all over the bathroom. Very small about the size of a bb. I kept killing them and would use a vacuum but they kept showing up. Then one day I went to put some Rid-X in the tolilet and the box was loaded with the bugs. After that I keep an opened Rid-X in a zip lock bag and no more bugs. I did keep using the Rid-X if that helps.

Ulu

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Dec 13, 2018
The Sunny San Joaquin
I raise red worms to feed my fish and if I have any fish food I think is stale, old, or contaminated, or whatever, I just put it in the worm farm.

But I have no idea what would happen if I put food infested with flour mites into the worm farm, which is basically just worm castings in dirt with redwood hummus.

Could I wind up with millions and millions of mites, or would they all die in the dirt?

Ulu

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Dec 13, 2018
The Sunny San Joaquin
No wasps here in the burbs, but I noticed a mosquito or two in the patio system.
Too much surface motion for them to breed there.
I only mention it because this is the most mosquito-free place I've ever been.
Local eradication efforts have been 99% effective.

I do get some small bugs and beetles, but the fish take care of them right away.

BIG-G

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Dec 12, 2005
NC
I had this happen a year or so ago. I feed the mite food to fry I had growing out.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store