Fish for a 40 gallon aquarium

Benthebassmaster

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Feb 17, 2021
I am getting a 40 gallon aquarium for my birthday. I am think about about getting an African butterfly fish, golden wonder killiefish, and a dwarf pike cichlid. Would all these fish be fine together also if there is any other fish that could be kept with them what would it be

Reactions: tlindsey

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
I am getting a 40 gallon aquarium for my birthday. I am think about about getting an African butterfly fish, golden wonder killiefish, and a dwarf pike cichlid. Would all these fish be fine together also if there is any other fish that could be kept with them what would it be
It may be a issue with the African Butterfly fish and Wonder Killiefish. Both occupy the top so possibly the African Butterfly fish may become territorial. Also the Killiefish may get eaten by the African Butterfly fish.

Reactions: Fishnerd360

Deadeye

POTM Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Aug 31, 2020
Dwarf pike thrives in a much lower ph and much warmer water than the killie and butterfly. Temperament wise the cichlid should stay out of this way.
Consider getting a couple of killies male and female so there is breeding and a constant supply. Butterfly is more insectivorous (though small fish aren’t out of the question), but dwarf piles are piscivores and what can fit is food.

40 Breeder or regular?

Hendre

Bawitius
Staff member
MFK Member
Jan 14, 2016
South Africa
You already have a thread why post another?
I would stick to one upper water species

Reactions: Deadeye

Benthebassmaster

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Feb 17, 2021
It may be a issue with the African Butterfly fish and Wonder Killiefish. Both occupy the top so possibly the African Butterfly fish may become territorial. Also the Killiefish may get eaten by the African Butterfly fish.
I can’t get an African butterfly fish because there ain’t anywhere that i can get one

Reactions: tlindsey

Benthebassmaster

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Feb 17, 2021
Dwarf pike thrives in a much lower ph and much warmer water than the killie and butterfly. Temperament wise the cichlid should stay out of this way.
Consider getting a couple of killies male and female so there is breeding and a constant supply. Butterfly is more insectivorous (though small fish aren’t out of the question), but dwarf piles are piscivores and what can fit is food.

40 Breeder or regular?
Breeder

Reactions: Deadeye

Deadeye

POTM Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Aug 31, 2020
Red wolf fish. Can’t be kept with tankmates but quite the impressive fish. Begs for food like a cichlid and has the bite of a piranha.
I’ve looked into one myself but my tank (36 bow) just feels too small and I wanted a bit more activity.
All void if you live in a state where they are illegal though.

40 breeder is a good footprint to be able to hold more fish, but probably not the best for mixing top dwellers with bottom dwellers due to the 15 inch height (as compared with the 2 foot regular). I would look into more of a mid tank fish for that size. You would get the most out of that.

Deadeye

POTM Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Aug 31, 2020
Live aquaria may have them.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store