Fish growing too fast! Tank health?

johnnymax

Dovii
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2019
Southeast, Texas
Update:
I removed a little over 2/3 of the water Friday. It was okay because my fish a still small. I added 1/3 new water. Wow, that made a difference. My clams had just been buried in the substrate, now they are reaching out from the substrate and filtering. Slowly over the weekend added water back 5 gallons at a time.
I will be ordering the new test kit this week, unless I can get a comparable price from PetSmart or PetCo.
Thanks for the input.

Reactions: Niki_up

johnnymax

Dovii
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2019
Southeast, Texas
UPDATE:
I received my new API Freshwater Master Test Kit
pH = 7.6
Ammonia=0 ppm
Nitrite= 0 ppm
Nitrate=0 ppm

I tested the Nitrate twice, and I did them all step by step by the instructions for each test carefully.
I do not understand how all could be 0 ppm.
I did do a 2/3 water change, but that was a week ago.

Jexnell

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jul 17, 2017
PNW
UPDATE:
I received my new API Freshwater Master Test Kit
pH = 7.6
Ammonia=0 ppm
Nitrite= 0 ppm
Nitrate=0 ppm

I tested the Nitrate twice, and I did them all step by step by the instructions for each test carefully.
I do not understand how all could be 0 ppm.
I did do a 2/3 water change, but that was a week ago.
So the #2 bottle on the Nitrate test needs to be beat to death before use. Very vigorously shake, slam it against things, put it in a paint shaker machine. Otherwise you will get a false negative reading like you are.

johnnymax

Dovii
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2019
Southeast, Texas
So the #2 bottle on the Nitrate test needs to be beat to death before use. Very vigorously shake, slam it against things, put it in a paint shaker machine. Otherwise you will get a false negative reading like you are.
I did shake it for a minute vigoroustly both time for a full minute. I will do it again this evening

johnnymax

Dovii
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2019
Southeast, Texas
Okay, I shook the hell out of it. I beat it on the table, against the palm of my hand, shook it like maraca every which a way. I was shaking it so violently for so long the dogs gave up and had to get out of my chair. Then I walked around shacking it.
I tested the water for Nitrate and again I got 0 ppm.
My wife looked at it and agreed 0 ppm.
So, no water change today...

Reactions: Niki_up

The Morning

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2018
I was away on vacation recently. Did 75% water change on my 150 on two consecutive days when I returned. Still didn’t read 0 nitrates after the second change. I guess anything is possible but I have never had zero reading on an established tank.

johnnymax

Dovii
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2019
Southeast, Texas
I am still concerned. I don't see how it can be zero, because they eat a lot!
I have algae growth on most surfaces, but I don't think it is enough to make a difference.
I am using a homemade air driven bio filter, nothing special...

piranhaman00

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Sep 15, 2009
Wisconsin
I am still concerned. I don't see how it can be zero, because they eat a lot!
I have algae growth on most surfaces, but I don't think it is enough to make a difference.
I am using a homemade air driven bio filter, nothing special...
It is possible to be 0, or just so close to 0 the test comes back as negative. I would invest in a Salifert Nitrate test kit, much more accurate down to near 0 readings.

Reactions: johnnymax

deeda

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 26, 2008
Medina, Ohio
If you have any other tanks, test those for nitrate and post the results.

Reactions: johnnymax
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store