Fish Hiding and Crustaceans Dying

japarks

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 8, 2019
All, Looking for insight on a newly re-established 200 gallon tank where the fish are almost all hiding in the rock and crustaceans die. Salt was about.23 and now have it up to around .26. Temp 77 degrees. Any ideas appreciated.

deeda

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 26, 2008
Medina, Ohio
Is this a saltwater or fresh water aquarium?

Reactions: tlindsey

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
It's possible that your parameters are off and spiking. List your parameters. How are you cycling your aquarium?

japarks

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 8, 2019
It's possible that your parameters are off and spiking. List your parameters. How are you cycling your aquarium?
I had my water checked by my local store about 10 days ago. All were perfect excerpt our salt which our meter needed to be claibrated. We did that and added salt and which were hovering around 1.023 when I added the shrimp peppermint shrimp and emerald crabs. When they showed signs of weakening or shock I suspected low salt and gradually was able to increase salt to 1.026. Found the dead shrimp this morning. Fish are still hiding and the turbo snail and hermit I added at the same time are not active and 1 emerald dead.

BIG-G

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Dec 12, 2005
NC
A lot can happen in ten days. I think it would benefit you to invest in your own test kit so that you can monitor your water quality.
Just from the limited information I would guess that you may have an ammonia spike going on.
The salt being .023 is a little low for inverts but I don’t think that in itself would cause the problems with your fish you described.
If your tank was cycled I suspect something like a snail or invert has died and is causing an ammonia / nitrite problem.

japarks

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 8, 2019
BIG-G,
I do have a test kit, I am not the usual maintainer and haven’t tested since the store. Also this is a 200+ gallon tank with a large refurg and a single or 2 just shouldn’t cause that spike should they?

BIG-G

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Dec 12, 2005
NC
BIG-G,
I do have a test kit, I am not the usual maintainer and haven’t tested since the store. Also this is a 200+ gallon tank with a large refurg and a single or 2 just shouldn’t cause that spike should they?
I see, I wouldn’t think that with a system that large a single snail could cause a larger ammonia spike.
If you can test and post results. It may be easier to get some meaningful advice.

japarks

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 8, 2019
Copper test 0. Salinity 1.026+. Temp 76. What else has such an effect on invertebrates? Ammonia appeared to be perfect. Going to get full set of tests.

japarks

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 8, 2019
Just left the store and all test were perfect or well within safe zone. To me that leaves water or salt. The RODI system is less than 2 months old so I think the salt which i don’t know the origin of is suspect. Thoughts?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store