Fish Hiding and Crustaceans Dying

deeda

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 26, 2008
Medina, Ohio
Jeff, post the numbers you got for the store's test result.

japarks

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 8, 2019
I don't have the numbers, relayed what they said, which was consistent with what I had in test. THey showed salt at 1.029/.030 but copper was 0

japarks

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 8, 2019
All,
Turned out the POOL SALT which was being used was the culprit. Have been doing regular water changes with Oceans and have 3 shrimp, some snails and others been alive for 3 weeks. I do think there are residual effects from the rock and algae being exposed to the pool salt, but the improvement from 40 gallon water changes was dramatic.Thanks- now it appears with the tanks health improving I may have a predator also become active.

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
In most threads I mention salt (NaCl) is simply salt when treating for fresh water diseases like ick.
Sea water mix is "not" just salt.
It is a combination of salt(s) minerals, buffers and other components that are needed by sea water fish and inverts.
Without these extra component of sea water, many quickly die, and invert shells fall apart.
If you want a salt water tank, and inverts, you must use a sea water mixtures, like Instant Ocean, or Reef Crystals etc, not just salt.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store