Fish ID

Rtc/tsn

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Apr 22, 2021
Cincinnati
Bought it a while ago and the fish store thought it was a Florida gar… but I corrected them and since they didn’t have it labeled it was like 5$ I think but It’s either a SAE or CAE, I believe it’s a SAE but honestly don’t know how to tell the difference. Currently about 3-4”. image.jpg

Rtc/tsn

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Apr 22, 2021
Cincinnati
looks like a CAE to me. About as far from a gar as you can get lol.
Yea I know lol. I don’t know what they were thinking but they were far from right. Don’t know what to do with him though, I saw his chasing tetras in the tank so I removed him to a bucket and I only have my flowerhorn tank. I think he’d be fine with daisy as he’s always been extremely docile with other fish but as Deadeye Deadeye said, don’t trust a flowerhorn and not to risk it.

Reactions: Kelly_Aquatics

Fishman Dave

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Nov 14, 2015
West Yorkshire
I don’t think the flower horn would be the issue. Chinese algae eaters can be real buggers some times and by some times read most times. Bigger fish they seem to see as somewhere to graze.
You can tell the difference by the mouth (amongst other things) CAE are more like a plec, SAE are more like a shark ie. labeo.

Reactions: Rtc/tsn

Rtc/tsn

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Apr 22, 2021
Cincinnati
I don’t think the flower horn would be the issue. Chinese algae eaters can be real buggers some times and by some times read most times. Bigger fish they seem to see as somewhere to graze.
You can tell the difference by the mouth (amongst other things) CAE are more like a plec, SAE are more like a shark ie. labeo.
Do you think it would be okay in daisys tank?

Deadeye

POTM Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Aug 31, 2020
Def a CAE. Could do well with a fh, but risky. Both are notoriously mean.

Reactions: Rtc/tsn

Rtc/tsn

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Apr 22, 2021
Cincinnati
Def a CAE. Could do well with a fh, but risky. Both are notoriously mean.
I added him a minute ago, I had him acclimating in a bucket just in case I did decide to try it out. The algae eater has already learned to move slowly and when the FH isn’t watching and as long as he isn’t moving then the FH looses interest immediately. I’ll be keeping an extremely close eye on this for a day or two or whenever things get out of hand I’ll remove him.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store