Fish is laying on its side/back

KCOXTWO

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 15, 2009
RED OAK, TEXAS
Same thing was going on with my clown loach, Bluehairman suggested I soak his food in meds before feeding. He's doing better now, its been 4 weeks not completely better still having some swimming control issues, but he's no longer laying on his side on the bottom. Hope this helps, Good luck with your sick guy too!

Pyramid_Party

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2008
Monterey, CA
I dont think I can get any food to him, I dont think the fish will even know food is there, let alone have the strength to eat it.

Genetics could be a reason too for this. I had a firemouth previously that died similar to this one. And later I bought another and both came from the same place. These could jsut be weak fish.

bluehairman

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 20, 2007
Green Bay
The aquariums at the fish store could be infected with a pathogen, but the fish are able to fight it off enough to stay alive. Then when put under stress of a new tank the infection gets the best of them.

Lumpy Gravy

Jack Dempsey
Jun 12, 2008
Central Florida
I wouldn't jump to any conclusions too quickly. My old Dempsey has a (presumably) genetic disorder which resulted in complete loss of swim bladder control. I tried every many medications, but nothing helped. He is still happily living on the bottom of the tank (soft sand) even a year later. He still eats and swims fine, but when not moving remains on the bottom of the aquarium. He got smart, and props himself up in the fake plants.

I talked with a vet once who said that it's likely a genetic disorder due to improper/poor breeding. I acquired the fish back before I started buying from reputable breeders, so it doesn't surprise me.

In your case, the rapid degradation may indicate something other than genetics. Try the salts an medicated foods first. Maybe increasing the temperature a couple of degrees will work it out. I would just make sure that the fish is eating. Make sure the food (sinking) gets close to it, so it doesn't have to move much.

Longimanus

Candiru
MFK Member
Feb 19, 2009
BC, Canada
What kind of medication do you all recommend though? I have a Bala Shark with the same issues right now.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store