Fish memes!

jaws7777

Probation Member
Probation Member
Mar 1, 2014
White house 1600 Pennsylvania Ave NW, Washington
Channa belheri
are they all illegal because all of them can survive in cooler temps ? Or just a few and the others are lumped into the ban ?

Reactions: Matteus

Hendre

Bawitius
Staff member
MFK Member
Jan 14, 2016
South Africa
are they all illegal because all of them can survive in cooler temps ? Or just a few and the others are lumped into the ban ?
They are usually subtropical/temperate, and I think the blanket ban prevents any "accidents". Channa change greatly as they grow, proper ID is nigh impossible.

jaws7777

Probation Member
Probation Member
Mar 1, 2014
White house 1600 Pennsylvania Ave NW, Washington
They are usually subtropical/temperate, and I think the blanket ban prevents any "accidents". Channa change greatly as they grow, proper ID is nigh impossible.
I never spend any time in that section but i thought somewhere someone said that not all are subtropical. Makes sense tho as mistakes do happen. New jersey had a big problem with these fish

BIG-G

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Dec 12, 2005
NC
The problem I’m the US was mainly due to the Northern Snakehead. These fish are from areas that can get cold in their natural habitat and have adapted to live in cold water.
More species than not of snakehead are warm water species and could not live outside of the extreme south in the United States.
But, instead of our government making a list of cold water species and banning those, it was decided to ban all snakeheads.

Hendre

Bawitius
Staff member
MFK Member
Jan 14, 2016
South Africa
The problem I’m the US was mainly due to the Northern Snakehead. These fish are from areas that can get cold in their natural habitat and have adapted to live in cold water.
More species than not of snakehead are warm water species and could not live outside of the extreme south in the United States.
But, instead of our government making a list of cold water species and banning those, it was decided to ban all snakeheads.
How do you enforce specific species only? I get your point but to identify and sort every import sounds difficult.

BIG-G

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Dec 12, 2005
NC
How do you enforce specific species only? I get your point but to identify and sort every import sounds difficult.
I’m not saying they should have. But, it’s been done on other species and I’m not just speaking about fish.
It would put a burden on agency’s responsible for preventing illegal importation to be able to distinguish what species that they are dealing with I get that.
But it could have been done. Just like certain species are allowed by permit only.

Reactions: Hendre

Hendre

Bawitius
Staff member
MFK Member
Jan 14, 2016
South Africa
I’m not saying they should have. But, it’s been done on other species and I’m not just speaking about fish.
It would put a burden on agency’s responsible for preventing illegal importation to be able to distinguish what species that they are dealing with I get that.
But it could have been done. Just like certain species are allowed by permit only.
Mind sharing examples? :)
I know arowana are such a thing, but for them it's pretty obvious.

BIG-G

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Dec 12, 2005
NC
Mind sharing examples? :)
I know arowana are such a thing, but for them it's pretty obvious.
In the US there are Federal and state and local rules governing many different species.
It varies by state as to what is required.
So I’m in North Carolina something that would be allowed by permit here may not be allowed in another state.
I could go online a look for a species that may be banned in Florida but allowed here or even farther north.
I don’t know really what your trying to find out?

Reactions: Hendre
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store