Fish need air

jagd24

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 20, 2009
michigan
Well I have a 125 gallon tank, with an XP4 and 2 aquaclear 70s on it. Well this weekend, I went to clean out the tank/aquaclears...and both aquaclear propellers BROKE OFF!

So I was like whatever, ill buy a new AC 100 this week. Well My xp4 return is submerged in my tank and not set to drip....I thought everything would be fine for a few days.

Went to bed, woke up and see my Blood Parrot at the top of the tank gasping....I went and turned on the light and it went to the bottom of the tank on its side breathing slow as ever.

I quickly put some extra prime into the tank, and did a nice salt solution...and hooked up my powerhead to where it was spraying above water. I had to go to work and left for the day. I got home 13 hours later and good ole Porkchop was swimming around happy as can be again. Color was completely back to normal....

I was planning on giving my blood parrots away, but I might keep them for a bit longer.

jagd24

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 20, 2009
michigan
Chromobotia;4526526; said:
Stagnant water = no to low oxygen

Fish keeping 101.
Can you point me to where you took your classes at?

Well real story is that the water wasnt stagnant, there was movement...and with the heat kicking on at night, it just wasnt enough to counter the raise in temperature.

jagd24

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 20, 2009
michigan
ballinouttacntrol;4526537; said:
glad you caught it in time.
Weird this is....I hate BOTH of my bloods, they were gifts from my ex and I didnt even like them then. She bought them cuz they were cute....

but ive had them going on 2 years now and the stupid things have grown on me.

geronimo69

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 13, 2010
Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
jagd24;4526567; said:
Can you point me to where you took your classes at?

Well real story is that the water wasnt stagnant, there was movement...and with the heat kicking on at night, it just wasnt enough to counter the raise in temperature.

Water movement is one thing.... surface agitation is another. Water has to be moveing in contact with air for the exchange of oxygen to happen... OR, the oxygen/air has to be driven into the water ( hob, air driven sponge filters )

Moloch

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2010
Raleigh, NC
If my surface looks smooth aside from the occasional bubble that goes around, BUT its circulating pretty rapidly due to current, does that do the trick? Right now my water level is a little low and the top of my xp3's spray bar is just barely breaking the surface, so the surface is really agitated, but I like to have the spray bar a good inch & a half under the water, the bichirs like to rest on it. With it that deep, there isn't the rippling effect, but the surface is moving in a nice circular flow...

KaiserOliver

Feeder Fish
Dec 4, 2010
KaiserOliver
Water movement is one thing .... Another is surface agitation. Water has to be moveing in contact with air for the exchange of oxygen to Happen ... OR, the oxygen / air has to be driven into the water. So that fish must be need air.

CLDarnell

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 21, 2010
Omaha
I sort of had the same thing happen. I am using 2 AC110s and 1 Rena XP4 in my 150. One night, I noticed the water looked a bit cloudy, but there were also a lot of microbubbles blowing around. I shut down by bubbler system to help disapate the bubbles. The next morning, my normally happy, active fish were all laying on the bottom of the tank not moving! I fired the bubbler up, drained some water to add agitation. Soon everyone "woke up" and returned to normal.

I have since added a bubbler to every one of my tanks. I don't always run them, but I keep the units on the 150 and in my nursery tank running 24 hours.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store