Fish nutrition and diet variation

thebiggerthebetter

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
Thank you for this! It's an edifying read, albeit it is a bit scary and also hurts one's brain when reading haha... So dry and repetitive... Well, it's a governmental instruction, of course. Garbage disposal manual is a fun read versus this one. Scary in the way that there are so many precautions one needs to take and in how many things can go wrong and what lives in raw flesh and how quickly it takes over.

I realize they try to cover all bases and make it as foolproof as possible, which of course is never 100% attainable.

I am guessing I am ok because I allow the many-time-thawed boxes to be thawed only for a few hours each time, and not always completely but partially and not to the room temp, while their benchmark is 24 h at room temp, or 48 hours at standard fridge temp, or so I got it.

Yet I have realized I don't thaw as best as they recommend which is in a fridge at 4 degrees Celsius. Anyhow, I found out a LOT about freezing and thawing and that I am cutting, oh, maybe only 12 to 24 corners in my practices of handling frozen fishy cuisines. It's a wonder my fish still survive some period of time in my "care".

It is new to me that freezing does kill some bacterial microorganisms. Glad to learn.

FINWIN

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Dec 21, 2018
Washington DC
Nah, forget frozen food. Get some o' this...big, Big, BIG!!!!! :headbang2

Galantspeedz

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Feb 28, 2017
That is what I was naively and ignorantly banking on too, that is, that a whole and natural, nothing added, nothing taken, frozen fish (but not frozen for too long as vitamins and minerals still decompose, just slower at lower temps) would be a complete, all-in-one nutrition package... but it is NOT.
Is actually more of me being lazy to do more than necessary when it comes to feeding lol

I will add some spriulina powder and calcium montmorillonite clay once a while.

Not sure how effective or useful those powder are but fishes are healthy and I see growth.... so that's good enough for me

Reactions: Zanzag

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
I used to feed NLS Algaemax when in the states (its not available here), and found some fish just wouldn't accept how rock hard it was and immediately spit it out (some didn't care).
So I would soak it a few moments in a little tank water, or tank water with some liquid vitamins and/or fish juice, and this usually made it less rock like, and more paletable for most of my fish.
By fish juice, I mean the water that appeared when I was thawing a bag of frozen ocean fish, my fish, or myself.
I prefer to use ocean fish as opposed to fresh water fish, less chance of disease transfer.

Reactions: thebiggerthebetter
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store