Fish Preservation...

davo

Aimara
MFK Member
Jan 9, 2006
England
Ok so finally got around to finding something suitable to put what I want to preserve in.

I have a few questions though.

When reading... http://research.amnh.org/ichthyology/congo/other05.html
it mentions a "10%" formalin solution is what is normal, but isn't enough for fish in the congo: so instead of 1 part full strength formalin to 9 part water they use 1 part to 5 parts water. Even though the fish I want to do it with is from SA, will it matter if I do say a little more than 1:9? As in effect the specimen.

I've also read that if your preserving so that DNA analysis work is possible down the line, that 90%+ ethanol is better. Is there any other difference, because I might do this instead, and change the solution after a week or so I am told.

Also I have heard that for large specimens you need to make a slit in the belly so that the liquid can permeate the inner organs properly. Well how big is large... This is only a 4-5" specimen TL so wouldn't think necessary, but thought I should check?

I think that's it, thanks a lot.

Vicious_Fish

Here fishy fishy fishy...
MFK Member
Mar 9, 2007
South Central...
The only fish I ever preserved were a Chinese Algae Eater and a Baby albino Oscar. I just used 100% rubbing alcohol. I did this as a kid but I know I had them in that jar for many years and they didn't change much in that solution. Don't know what ever happened to that jar.

davo

Aimara
MFK Member
Jan 9, 2006
England
hmm cheers mate. Shame you didn't keep it! If you ever find it post a pic be interested to see it now.

Druu

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 16, 2007
Notre Dame, IN
Rubbing alcohol is usually 70% isopropyl. When I interned at the museum we had large fish in jars that were not slit in the belly. I think you should temporarily treat it with formulin then permanently house it in alcohol.

beblondie

In Loving Memory
Mar 31, 2005
chicagoland
Preservation
we use 70% alcohol for preservation (or at least maintenance of perservation) of our specimens...this is diluted from the 95% stuff we keep on hand in the lab. the actual preservation/fixation, however, is done with formaldehyde. if the fish is larger than just a few inches then i cut the belly so the chemical can enter into the insides of the fish and preserve everything. the fish stays in the form. solution for a couple days. if its a gar or bichir, a fish that has rigid bony scales, then i take the fish out after 2-3 days and just let it air dry. the fish is now dry preserved.

if im doing a standard preservation i take the fish out after 2-3 days and let it sit in a container of water to soak out the formalin. after a day in the water the fish is removed and placed into a container of 70% alcohol for long-term preservation.
as far as using other alcohol, i think as long as its relatively pure and the proof is about 140 you should be ok...in theory

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store